Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Dinner or Disaster?

Dinner or disaster? What a great idea and I have been waiting for a couple of weeks to do my first one. Why was I waiting? I was waiting for peej to come over spring break so he could either enjoy it with me or watch me throw it into the trash. What will it be? Let's find out.

This months recipe was Rigatoni with Spicy Sausage-Tomato Sauce, Arugula and Parmesan. And just in case you forgot the ingredients they are as follows:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 pounds fresh hot Italian sausages, casings removed
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes with added puree
8 ounces rigatoni
2 cups (packed) fresh arugula, stemmed
1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

I won't go into all the details of the hows and whys but if you want them you can hop on over to either Dirt Road Girl or Don't Blink blog read all about the recipe there.

We, I am talking about myself and peej, followed the recipe pretty much as is except we used Rotoni pasta (because I already had it)and we added 2 tablespoons of butter in the end to cut the acidity from the tomatoes. Unlike big sis I was able to fine fresh arugula, thank you Whole Foods.

Photobucket

I also used hot italian sausage and I even found a dry red wine to use again thank you Whole Foods.

It sure did smell good while it was cooking but will it taste as good as it smells? It certainly was a colorful recipe.

Photobucket

Big sis didn't give this a very good rating but I got to tell you I gave is a 4 out of 5 forks. Peej is giving it a 3.75 forks out of 5 after the initial cooking and a 4 out of 5 as leftovers. I think the difference was in the arugula, it definitely gave it a different flavor.

Photobucket

Overall I have to call it a dinner and yes I would make it again. I think I might change a couple of things with it but overall I was pleased.

2 comments:

jporterGOP said...

It needs to have a big red bell pepper added to it. That would have made it in my book. But, yes, I also would definitely rate it as a dinner - not a disaster.

carriegel said...

wow, it was my recipe and i liked it the least. even sarah tried it and liked it better than i did. i am beginning to think it may be the cook.

i have another dinner or disaster recipe i want to try.