Monday, March 23, 2009

More Biking and My Goals

Getting pretty boring around here, nothing really going on so let's talk about my weekend biking, again.

If you remember last week was my first time out and I made the foolish mistake of climbing a couple of hills with my new bike. I didn't make that mistake this weekend because I stuck mainly to the bike path that runs by the apartment. The bike path I am talking about is also called The Old Plank Trail. It is 17 miles long, starts in Sheboygan and finishes in Greenbush. Most of the trails I have found in Wisconsin are rated as easy, this trail is rated as intermediate. I am assuming the intermediate rating comes from the fact either you are peddling up hill or downhill the entire length of the trail. This trail isn't built on an old railroad bed like so many others this trail actually follows Highway 23 between the two above mentioned towns.

The surface to the west of where I get on the trail is older pavement and is rough in some areas. The surface to the east was recently repaved and is nice and smooth and I think a little wider than the trail to the west. There are a couple of areas where you need to slow down or it hurts when you hit the bumps. If I were to compare this trail with the rail-trail between Midland and Clare I would pick the Midland-Clare Trail just because the surface is so much better. The one thing I do like with the Old Plank Trail is when you approach a road to cross the trail actually bends away from the road intersection. This make the crossing much safer than the trail being right at the intersection.

I was hoping to ride the trail this weekend to Plymouth and back but when I woke up Saturday morning we had snow covering the ground. I wasn't to worried about the fresh snow because I knew Saturday was suppose to be a nice sunny day with temperatures hitting 50 degrees. I was more worried about the left over snow on the trail from this past winter. Yes we still have snow here in Wisconsin and wherever the trail passes on the north side of a woods the snow has yet to melt. Saturday was such a nice day that when I came up to a snow covered portion of the trail I pushed the bike past it and continued on. I finally got all the way to WI-57, which is on the extreme east end of Plymouth before I got to a patch of snow I didn't feel like pushing through so I turned around.

One of my goals for this trail is to try and average 12 MPH along the trail. I am hoping by later this summer I can get up to 13 and maybe even 14 MPH average. I was averaging 11.8 MPH even after stopping to push my way through the snow covered areas so I think 12 MPH is easily within my grasp. I finally had a chance to get the average up to 12 MPH because I was about to decent a nice long hill. I was hitting 17 to 18 MPH and even got over 20 MPH once. I had the average up to 11.9, ready to break 12 MPH when I looked up and what did I see? A bald eagle soaring overhead, the hell with the 12 MPH average, I hit the brakes and stopped so I could watch the eagle instead. I mean how many chances do you get to watch an eagle glide through the air? I think this eagle was looking for its next meal because he was circling overhead gradually moving towards the east and then the south.

I took off again and eventually made it back to my point of entry to the trail and decided to see how far east I could go on the trail. I made it about 2 miles before I hit more snow than I really wanted to push the bike through so I turned around and headed home.

I ended up riding 21 miles on Saturday and felt pretty good afterward except for my butt. I think I can handle the long rides other than my butt gets pretty sore. When I jumped back on the bike on Sunday everything felt fine except for my butt again. I am hooping with more riding it gets broke in too. Speaking about Sunday because it was cold and windy I only rode for 7 miles. It was just too miserable to go any farther. It is suppose to stay cold and rainy all week but at least it will finally melt the snow.

Since little sis told us all about her goals for the upcoming summer I thought I might share mine with everyone. The one thing about telling people your goals I think you are more apt to accomplish them because it adds a little pressure. Unlike little sis there will be no races for me.

1. I want to be able to average 12 MPH on the Old Plank Trail by this summer.
2. My goal is to ride 1000 miles this summer.
3. I want to ride 51 miles in one day by my 51st birthday in June.
4. I want to ride the Ozaukee-Interbaun Trail here in Wisconsin from one end to the other and back by the end of the summer over one weekend. I am not sure but I think it is about 60 miles one way.
5. Before biking season is done and if I am still here in Wisconsin I want to ride to the Mississippi River. This is about 112 miles one way and you start in central Wisconsin and end at the Mississippi River. You travel over a boat load of bridges and travel through several tunnels cut through hills. My plan is to ride it to the Mississippi and back over a 4 day period. This isn't something I can do alone so if anyone is interested let me know because I am willing.
6. I have an attainable goal to loose 20 pounds this summer and if at all possible I would like to loose 25 pounds. I am well on my way as I have already lost 10 pounds, the easy 10, so all I have to do is loose the other 10-15 pounds. This may not seem like much but these are the hard 10 pounds with the last 5 pounds almost impossible, at least for me.

There you have it my goals for this summer, not as ambitious as little sis but they should get me back in shape.

6 comments:

megawatt miler said...

your goals sound pretty ambitious to me-good luck!

have you looked into bike shorts? you can always put other shorts over them if that look isnt for you-they really help.

carriegel said...

when we left monroe 12 mph was a comfortable speed for me. on sunday i noticed that 14 is now a comfortable speed. one word, hills. i am in better shape.

get some bike shorts. they make some that look just like regular shorts. dave has them and likes them.

when i ride dave's bike on our trainer i have to wear bike shorts. his seat hurts. on sunday i rode 25 miles without bike shorts. not a problem. sometimes the right seat can make all of the difference.

dave might be interested in that wi to mississippi ride.

Anonymous said...

Hey -- I think we should join you for a ride! I could do my 50 and the oldest her 52! The babies don't yet have enough miles to count!

Think padded shorts, brother. They'll never make a bike seat that doesn't hurt your butt!

Unknown said...

I think I can do 12 MPH with the hills and I want to average 14 MPH on flat ground. If the weather cooperates I am going south of here to another trail this weekend and ride. That trail is much flatter than the one by the apartment so I should be able to get my average up.

I am looking into the shorts and they sound like they will solve my problems. The only problem is I won't have any excuses left why I can't go for a ride.

If people are serious about riding to the Mississippi we should start picking a date. I was thinking maybe Labor Day weekend since this will be a 4 or possibly 5 day trip. I also think we should have someone with a car just in case something goes wrong, they could also carry all our gear for us.

As I said this is a 112 mile long bike path, one way. We would have a choice once we got to the Mississippi of either turning around and coming back or follow the mighty Mississippi south. There is a bike route that runs with the Mississippi River down into Iowa and beyond I believe. If we choose the latter option we will definitely need at least one car if not more to pick us up where we stop. I am sure the wife would be willing to drive one car and maybe M for the other? That is if he chooses not to ride a bike.

I'm just thinking out loud and looking for other suggestions if people are interested.

Also I don't care who wants to ride, the more the merrier, we will figure everything else out later.

carriegel said...

i'm listening.

megawatt miler said...

me too