Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A Few of My Favorite Things...............

As I sit here tonight sharing one of the funniest videos I have seen in a long time with my daughter, that would be the J daughter and probably a video a father and daughter shouldn't be sharing, it got me wondering; What are some of my favorite things? Now I could list all my favorite things in a list but I thought I would break them down into categories. (In fact if you look to the right of my blogs you will see one of my all time favorite songs.) Besides by breaking them down into categories I can use them for future blogs. I thought I would start with TV shows tonight because my sister, the one that is almost a half a century old, posted some of her favorite shows in her blog. So here we go.

1. Sports Center - I get up every morning at 5:30am just to watch an hour of Sports Center before I go to work. I am not sure why I do this other than when I moved from the eastern time zone to the central I never adjusted my internal clock.

2. Emeril Live - Watch it just about every night like a women glued to Oprah. I probably get more recipes and ideas watching his show than anywhere else. I love the Louisiana and Cajun influence he has in his recipes.

3. Throwdown with Bobby Flay - I like the way he goes out and challenges people and try to make a better recipe than they can, even though it is their specialty. He may win, he might even lose but he always makes the people he challenges look good.

4. Family Guy - Yeah I know what everybody is saying "How can he watch that crap!" I like all the flashbacks to old TV shows to see if I recognize any of them. Plus it is a show that is there just to make you laugh. They poke fun at everyone and anything. It is not politically correct, maybe that is why I like it so much, and it can offend anybody at anytime. No lessons to be learned from this one just good, funny stuff.

5. Dirty Jobs - This guy cracks me up. The faces, the expressions, and all the pooh he gets himself into. This guy is my hero, he found something so simple and exploited it to make millions. I am sure he was a unemployment junkie before he struck gold with this show.



Believe it or not this guy is an opera singer. Check out at about the 3:20 mark, he upchucks over the boat, reminds me of both of my brother-in-laws.

6. Biography - I like to watch biography's to see how people got to where they are at today. (As long it is not Britteny Spears or one of the other twits that can't seem to get along in life.)

7. Tyler Ultimate - I get up every Saturday and Sunday morning just to watch this show. I think he does some the the best food on The Food Network. I have saved several of his recipes.

8. Good Eats - Do you think I watch a lot of The Food Network yet?

9. Nip/Tuck - Can't explain it but every Tuesday night at 9:00pm (that is Central time folks) I have to watch this show. It pisses me off that I do it because I don't like to get hooked into any type of soap opera show and that is all this is. Rosie O'Donnell even guest stars on it occasionally (who by the way I can't stand and would normally turn the channel off when she comes on) and I still can't turn it off. She normally has some great parts on it and does a pretty darn good job of acting on it.

10. Beverly Hillbilly's - An oldie but a goodie, I am not sure there wasn't a better character on TV than Jethro Bodine and his 6th grade education. When you watch that show every character was perfectly cast. I can't hardly stand to watch the movie because I can't imagine anybody else playing the roles of Jed, Granny, Elie May and Jethro.



Well that is my top ten list for tonight. I am curious to see what everybody else's list looks like.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the Food Network, but as for favorites, I'll say:

1. Favorite food: nachos and salad, but not necessarily together. There are times it's appropriate, like, say if it's a nacho salad, but nachos by themselves should never have lettuce. Can have meat or black beans -- black beans being healthier and then lots of colored peppers. Red, yellow, orange. Yum.
2. Television shows: Survivor, The Amazing Race, American Idol although I don't pine over Idol like I do Survivor when I miss that show. Plus for me if I do miss Survivor, I can catch up the next week and watch it over the internet. What I really like to do is review the previous week's show the hour before the current show will be on. Okay, that's a sign of addiction, I'm sure. Let's see, other favorite TV shows: What Not to Wear (live and breathe this one, folks and you'll be doing mankind a favor).
#3: Right now I have a favorite pair of socks. Wool. Warm. Love them. Wearing them as I type.

Oh, sorry, it seems my response is longer than your original post. I'll save some for another day. too da loo!

carriegel said...

I spent my dinner hour thinking about my top ten list of shows. unlike my sister i am going to stay on point.

1. what not to wear - what's not to like. i watch it every friday night and every day at noon. i don't mind watching them over and over. it has changed the way i shop. shopping is so much harder now. i often think to myself what would stacy and clinton say?

2. survivor - believe it or not sarah's dream is to be on that show.

3. american idol - i like the fact they haven't watered it down by having it on year round. i picked carrie underwood at her audition and rooted for her to the end.

4. project runway/top chef - i linked them together because they run on the same network,on at the same day, and the same time at different times of the year. as one is ending the other is starting. never thought watching people sew and cook could be so fascinating.

5. buy me - an obscure show on hgtv. they follow homeowners as they try and sell their house. i have become a savvy homeseller from watching that show. i like learning from others mistakes.

6. newport beach/the hills - my guilty pleasure. i might as well lump real world in with them too. pure junk but i can't help but watch.

7. college and pro football - i am rooting for the irish to win and the lions to lose. wasn't a good year for either of those. the irish won too few times and the lions too many. just wait til next year.

8. bridezillas - do people like that really exist?

9. barefoot contessa - this one is for you c-2. i love her recipes. i have tried a few and they always turn out good. of course with all the butter she uses why wouldn't it?

do you see a trend here? yes, they are all reality shows. i watch very little network tv. they just don't seem to make the well written shows like they used to. which brings me to number 10.

10. the classics of the past that i never missed. mash, frasier, st. elsewhere, twin peaks (did anyone really understand it?), northern exposure, ed, my so called life (must buy that dvd), and freaks and geeks. all funny and very well written with an off-center sense of humor.

Anonymous said...

You know what's scary about that bridezilla's -- they actually plan to be that way! How else would a camera be ready and waiting.

Unknown said...

Oh boy, the things you learn about people. I didn't know I had sisters that are reality show geeks.

I didn't mention any sporting events because I think they deserve space all to themselves someday. I will tell you one thing though I HATE NOTRE DAME. My two favorite teams are Michigan and the team that is playing Notre Dame (sorry Sarah).

By the way get over Joey Harrington, he has been gone for two years and he was even worse with the other teams he was on.

JP said...

How can you not like Britney Spears' biography?! It's like a car accident... it's so bad you can't look away. She had the world in the palm of her hands and lost every ounce of respect she ever had.

(My favorite TV shows)
1. Celebrity Rehab With Dr. Drew- it's on VH1. I love this show; how often do you see the "want to get better" side of drug addiction on TV? Or even in life?
2. Rock of Love II with Bret Michaels- also on VH1. It's very dramatic and the girls are incredibly stupid.
3. Mad TV- There's nothing else to watch Monday and Wednesday afternoons.
4. The Drug Years- VH1 again... I can't get enough of that channel.
5. I agree with dad here... Biographies.
6. The Colbert Report- I don't catch it often but when I do I laugh hysterically.
7. Family Guy- nothing is better.
8. Southpark- I love stupid cartoons.
9. The Simpsons- see above description.
10. Anything that is "The history of... " I learn a lot from those ones. If not on VH1 Classic than on The History Channel.

As you can see I enjoy stupid humor. I'm young. I've really limited myself to VH1 and Comedy Central.

carriegel said...

when you're old like your aunt and i it will be hgtv and tlc. now that is something to look forward to.

Anonymous said...

I don't even know the shows bologna girl is talking about, but my guess is most aren't appropriate for our G rated household.

megawatt miler said...

Ok up until now I have resisted jumping on the bandwagon like the rest of you but now its personal and i have to defend myself. GO IRISH AND GO JOEY!!!!

mickey said...

Ha ha.

I never expected to see Sarah here.

Okay, I don't really watch TV, but, when I do, here are some shows I like. They're in order as they come to mind.

1. Family Guy. How can you not love it? It's so funny.
2. I was a fan of Flavor of Love, and then I Love New York (they get banded together).
3. I'm with them...biographies, and documentaries. I love Discovery, History, Animal Planet (not the pet shows), Nat'l Geo. All those.
4. Gilmore Girls. Sadly. I just think it's really funny.
5. Of course, The Colbert Report. I loved his book, also.
6. MadTV reruns are pretty good. I never see new episodes.

That's all I can think of.

carriegel said...

don't mess with her irish!

Unknown said...

My gosh jp who raised you? Don't you ever say me. But I have to say that is some funny stuff.

Welcome to the blog Sarah. I thought if you were reading this I could get you to respond. I will have more on the subject of Notre Lame and the mighty Wolverines the closer we get to football season. I have plans to eventually post the Michigan fight song, you will be proud.

megawatt miler said...

i got provoked, what can i say.

and anyone who knows anything about football knows notre dame has "the greatest of all university fight songs" and do i even have to go into how lame and sportsmanlike the michigan fight song is? i guess you dont have to wonder where the players get it from. ok, i am finished, hopefully until september or until further provoked.

also, i might be proud, but only b/c my old 50ish aunt/uncle know more about blogging than i do.

with all the people with P (rhymes with supporter?) blood writing in these blogs this could get ugly come football season.

jporterGOP said...

Sarah's right, come football season, blogging will get ugly. I'm not intimidated though - if she were that smart, she'd be a Michigan fan.

JP said...

Who can disagree with U of M?

("Jock" raised me)