Tuesday, February 26, 2008

What's in a Name

I should probably explain where the name Jock comes from. Obviously it is not my real name. Contrary to what the name implies I was not a great athlete in high school, intermediate school, elementary school or any other school for that matter. The name is the brain child of a cousin of mine that thought I needed a nickname when we were freshman in high school. He would sit in algebra class trying to come up with one. Now since our last name rhymes with supporter he started to call me supporter for a while. Great nicknames are normally only one syllable, two at the most so he knew he had to shorten it up. It didn't take him long to figure out that a type of supporter was a jock and that is what he started to call me. I am still greatful to this day he didn't think of bra or brazier because he would have used it if he did. It didn't take to long for it to catch on and from that point on I don't think I ever heard my first name used for the rest of high school. Most of the guys I went to school with still use the nickname and when I hear it I still answer to it.

When he first started using the nickname I really didn't like it but I knew if I said anything matters would only get worse. As time went on I realized it really wasn't all that bad and it turned out to be one the the "coolest" nicknames in the school at the time. I would have to say it ranked right up there with another great nickname in the school of Mingo.

2 comments:

carriegel said...

the things i learn reading these blogs. did i sleepwalk through my childhood?

Anonymous said...

He hasn't stumped me yet! Of course, I'm not quite a half century though am I?