Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Sunday Dinner - 10 August 2008

I had plans for a different Sunday Dinner Episode this week but we had trouble finding what we wanted. While we were looking there sitting in the meat case were these................
Photobucket
.............beef ribs. It was one of those times when the ribs kept calling my name out. I knew as soon as I saw them I would never get out of the market without them. It isn't very often I find beef ribs, at least whole beef ribs, in the meat case. In fact this is the first time I have seen them all summer. Oh I can find beef short ribs, which will be a separate Sunday Dinner Episode coming this winter, but never whole beef ribs.

I also knew I had to redeem myself because the last time I cooked beef ribs, they were beef short ribs, they didn't come out so great. They were kind of tough and not very tasty. Not a total disaster but not something I would feed to guest either. This time, however, I had a different plan.

Let's introduce the cast of characters first.......
Photobucket

This is the marinade ingredients. Just mix together and let marinade for a couple of hours. Next up is to make the basting sauce............
Photobucket

If you haven't noticed yet these ribs will have an Asian theme. The marinade included Thai Red Chili Paste and the basting sauce includes Hoisin Sauce. If you remember a while back I mentioned Hoisin Sauce is a great way to add instant flavor to just about anything. It really shines when used with beef.

The basting ingredients are all mixed together and simmered on the stove for 20-30 minutes.
Photobucket

This an also be done ahead of time and stored in the ice box.

When ready it is time to "FIRE UP THE GRILL!!!!!!"
Photobucket

I never get tired of the smoky smell coming from the grill.

Once the grill is ready brown the meat over direct heat and then move over to the indirect portion of the grill and cook for a couple of hours.
Photobucket
In the last half hour or so bast with the basting sauce.
Photobucket
Throw some potatoes on the grill, have the wife make a salad (again from here Taste of Home magazine) and this is what you end up with.....
Photobucket

I will give it a 3.75 forks out of 5. I screwed up the potatoes. This is really starting to upset me because I just can't seem to cook potatoes on the grill lately. They weren't terrible but I definitely have made better. I thought I screwed up the beef ribs too after I took them off the grill. I thought they were dried out but after one bite into them all my fears went away. Nice and tender and moist, just they way they should be. I still wouldn't trade them for pork ribs though but it is a nice change.
Photobucket

7 comments:

carriegel said...

why don't you cook them in the oven first like you do for pork ribs?

Anonymous said...

Forget about your oven for the summer, sister. Try cooking your pork ribs only over the coals -- mmm mmm. I'd like the salad recipe. It's got my favorite things in it -- black beans, garbanzo beans, corn ...

Unknown said...

Yeah sister the only way to cook ribs in the summer is over coals.

The salad was good but the wife and I agreed it was missing something. Probably salt and pepper. I didn't really care for the chunks of mozzarella cheese in it either, I think it would be better with parmesan/reggiano cheese grated over it. Hard to beat fresh cucumbers and tomatoes in a salad.

jporterGOP said...

is he still alive?

haven't heard from him in a while...

Unknown said...

I am taking after you.

I have been working on two jobs for the last week or so and won't finish them for another week or so. One is for the big church north of Midland on Stark Road and the other is a new building for a plumbing/piping supplier in Midland.

I will be posting my Sunday dinner however so stay tuned.

carriegel said...

did i miss your sunday dinner post?

Unknown said...

No, look for it tomorrow night.

Hasn't been a good week for me my back has been killing me plus I didn't feel very good this week, I think because of my back. The good news is tonight my back is almost back to normal. I am not sure why I get sore backs but it happens once and sometimes twice a year. It goes away as mysteriously as it appears.

The bad news is now I am way behind on my side work so guess what I will be doing all weekend.