Saturday, August 30, 2008

Sunday Dinner - 24 August 2008

I know I am getting later and later getting these out but I have been to busy during the week to get everthing done I need to do to get my Sunday Dinners on my blog. In fact I think I may have come up with a post idea for a later entry, Producing a Sunday Dinner Episode. But even as busy as I have been this week I still managed to get this episode on before tomorrow, Sunday.

With all the excuses out of the way let's get on with this weeks Sunday Dinner Episode. What is it? Will let's take a look.....
Photobucket

Barbecue country pork ribs.

Now I will admit the last couple of times I have tried to cook country pork ribs I have screwed them up terribly. Well maybe not terribly because they were still edible but believe me I have had much better. I was determined this time to get it right, after all if I didn't I would have to pull out an archived upcoming post I have planned. I can't do that because this wouldn't be a real Sunday Dinner and we can't have that. The pressure was on to perform.

This weeks episode is a two parter starting with the bbq country ribs. Here are the main players in part one of this weeks episode.
Photobucket

Ignore the corn they were being photo hogs this week and jumped into the picture. They actually star in part 2 of this episode. But as you can see for the country ribs it is pretty simple this week. A little salt, pepper and some homemade bbq sauce.

And to introduce the players for part 2 of this weeks episode......
Photobucket

You already know the corn but the rest of the players are butter, salt, pepper, granulated garlic, dried basil, and parmesan/reggiano cheese.

With all the introductions done it is time to "FIRE UP THE GRILL!!!!!!!"

First thing to do is get the country style ribs on and let them cook for an hour or so. While the pork is cooking we might as well get the corn ready.
Photobucket
The butter needs to be warm enough so all the ingredients can be mixed together. Once mixed it gets smeared all over the corn. Now it's off to the grill.
Photobucket

Now just let the corn cook for 15 minutes while turning frequently. Oh don't worry about those burnt, oops I mean dark areas, that is just flavor being added. At least that's what they tell me on Food Network.
Photobucket

Let's take a peak at the pork too to see how it's doing.
Photobucket

So far looking good. Here is what it looks like when everything is done.
Photobucket

I have to confess the baked beans were bought from our local meat market. I got to tell you once you taste these you would be hard pressed to ever make baked beans again. If you want to know something funny the baked beans cost more than the country pork ribs and corn put together. We bought the country ribs on sale for $1.99 per pound and the corn was $1.00 for three ears at the farmers market in Sheboygan. Other than the beans if you are looking for a cheap meal here you go. In that respect this is a 5 fork meal.

Like I said above a cheap meal but let's get our individual rankings done now. The country style pork ribs get a 4 out of 5 forks. The ribs themselves were excellent, nice and juicy, great flavor but the bbq sauce is holding them back today. It wasn't my best effort in bbq sauce making. The sauce had very little flavor and I am not sure why. I mean it's okay but not how I like it. The corn gets 5 out of 5 forks. This is the best corn on the cob I have ever had. Maybe we bought it at the right time, maybe it is the type of corn, maybe it is the ingredients I used on the corn before grilling it or maybe the grilling did it. It is probably a combination of the above but I will tell you again it was excellent.

Well that's this weeks Sunday Episode with one week remaining for the Sunday Episodes cooked on the grill. After this coming Sunday I am not sure what direction I will be going but I do plan on doing the Sunday Episodes. I am sure I will continue to do Sunday Episodes for time to time on the grill this fall until it gets to cold outside but I need ideas. I am thinking of tailgating episodes or fall harvest type episodes or comfort food episodes. I am think of leaving the comfort food episodes until winter and I am leaning towards tailgating episodes right now because it is football time. Let me know what you think I should do.

Well it is time to go now. I need to take the garbage to the dump and mow the lawn before the Michigan football game starts or maybe I should wait on mowing the lawn until Michigan plays just in case they stink.

7 comments:

carriegel said...

a word to the wise, mow later!

Unknown said...

Too late but I can always go outside and do my weed wiping if I have to.

carriegel said...

they are giving this game away. go utah!

Unknown said...

Dammit, so close.

jporterGOP said...

Threet is the obvious choice. Sherridan can't even throw the ball more than 5 yards. Sure, Threet missed 2 or 3 throws that you just can't miss at this level, but he also dropped a perfect pass into the arms of his receiver in the end zone. I think it's a no brainer that you have to play Threet next week.

carriegel said...

Week 1: Utah at home - I thing the offense will struggle since it will be the first game with the spread under real game conditions. The defense will keep them in the game and they will pull out a close one. Michigan 24 Utah 17. Michigan 1-0.

you must be dyslexic, that should say 0-1.

Unknown said...

I agree Threet is the quarterback for this team this year. I like his accuracy better than Sherridan's and I don't think you lose a whole lot in Threet's running ability either.

As far as the game goes I was pretty darn close in my assessment. I made my assessments on prior Mich history and how they play not the team they are playing. Since I don't have the time or the inclination to research every team they play I have to go on gut feeling. Utah is a better team than I thought. With that being said I was right about the offense struggling. What I wasn't right about was the defense coming out in the first half and playing like they were scared of the spread offense. In the second half the defense dominated Utah they way I thought they might.

The offense will get untracked as soon as Rodriguez decides on a quarterback. I predict this will happen by the third week of the season when they play Notre Dame.

Now I challenge you to give us Notre Dames season before they play a snap. I know I won't get everyone of my predictions right but it is fun to try and gives us all something to talk about.