Sunday, August 31, 2008

My Labor Day Saturday

I don't know if everybody knows or not but I am a bachelor this weekend. I put the wife on a boat Friday and sent her across Lake Michigan to visit her family in Michigan. She is due to sail back into Wisconsin on Monday.

So what am I doing this weekend in Wisconsin? Well I thought I would take advantage of being alone and study for an upcoming test. This is a perfect weekend for that. While she is gone I thought I might take advantage of the situation and cook some of the things I like and she doesn't.

We'll start with Friday night. After work I went to Sheboygan to the local fish market and bought some of my weekend supplies. I was looking for fresh shrimp and scallops, as fresh as can be found in Wisconsin anyway, for a couple of my meals for the weekend.
Photobucket

I love my shrimp and scallops so for Friday night I thought I would do a combo meal with them. I could have ate them right out of the frying pan but I had other ideas. I combined them with some onions, red peppers, garlic, white wine, olive oil and whole wheat pasta and came up with this...
Photobucket

This is a pretty darn good start to my weekend don't you think?

Saturday morning I get out of bed and the first thing I decide to do is write my post for last Sunday's Sunday Dinner Episode. While doing this I eat my breakfast which consist of extreme labor to make.....
Photobucket
Cinnamon Life Cereal. I have one bowl a week and it is every Saturday. I can't tell you how many years I have been eating Life cereal in one form or another but it has been a long time.

After the early morning chores are done I load up the garbage and take it to the dump. On the way back I decide to stop at our local market in Elkhart Lake to purchase a couple of items I will need later in the day. While I was there I couldn't help but stare at the doughnuts on the counter. I decide to by one and the lady says "We have some more back here in this box. They just came in and are real fresh." I checked them out and said "Give me that one."
Photobucket
Apple fritter, my favorite of all time. This is the plate 30 seconds later.
Photobucket
Nothing wrong with a good apple fritter. I glad all I bought is one because I don't need one of these everyday.

It's a beautiful day outside so I decide to mow the lawn before the Michigan game comes on. Since I have been busy for the last two weeks the lawn hasn't been mowed for three weeks. I think it needs it.

Win or lose this is an exciting day in Michigan football. This is a team that has been rolling along in the same direction for the last 40 years. Not that it was a bad direction but let's face it, it was time for a change and change Michigan did. They hired the guru of the spread offense so I was excited to see how they looked. The team they play first, Utah, has a lot of returning players who a very capable of running the spread offense. This is a good first test. Michigan's offense came out struggling and the only reason the Wolverines got the first 10 points is because Utah gave the points to them. The offense is really struggling and the defensive isn't doing any better. Utah is showing Michigan how to run the spread offense. The defense looks like they are a half a step slow right now. I thought the best part of the Michigan team was suppose to be the defense. The first half was brutal, I expected the offense to struggle but not the defense. I am disappointed.

But time for a half time snack.
Photobucket
Little sister brought my attention to this snack and when I saw them in the store I thought I would try them. Not bad for a potato chip. I like the pepper on them. Several years ago I switched from salt to pepper on my french fries so it makes sense it would be good on potato chips too.

On to the second half. Utah scores a quick three points but that is where the Utah scoring stops. The Michigan defense takes over and play great the rest of the game. This is the defense I thought we would see. The offense still struggles but Michigan changes quarterbacks and all of a sudden the deep threat is back. The new quarterback, Threet, has good accuracy. This will start to open up the running lanes if they can start to complete some down field passes. The offense starts to show some spark but it is to little to late and the final score is Utah 25 Michigan 23.

I'm disappointed but I also expected Michigan to play this way. They will get better as the weeks go by but I don't think Rodriguez has the quarterback he needs for his system right now. I am sure his number one priority will be a spread offense type quarterback for his recruits next year.

Now that the game is over it's time for dinner.
Photobucket
Portabella mushroom burger. Another food item the wife doesn't like. How does anyone get along in life without seafood and mushrooms? I can't imagine. This turns out to be a pretty darn good burger. A tapenade that includes anchovies, olives, onions, garlic and olive oil, portabello mushrooms (of course), fire roasted red peppers, and toasted buns.

And what is dinner without dessert? Actually I rarely eat dessert but not today, look what I have...
Photobucket

Oatmeal blueberry cookies. There isn't much to say here except for they will give the best chocolate chip cookies a run for their money. These are so good you will need to hide them so nobody else knows you have them.

That is about it for a Labor Day Saturday. I ended up falling asleep last night so I don't know who won the race I was watching on TV. Pretty exciting around here.

7 comments:

Shaelynn said...

I don't understand living life without seafood and mushrooms, either, but Scott's not a huge fan of either one. (We're currently working on the seafood issue--he likes shrimp so far.)

The shrimp, scallops, and pasta meal looking amazing.

jporterGOP said...

mmmm..scallops. i will repeat my point from yesterday, Threet is the definite choice out of the two guys they have. i agree though, neither one can really run the offense that Rich Rod wants to run.

Unknown said...

A little bit of fresh basil would have really topped off that pasta dish.

I am expecting for Mich to settle on Threet on quarterback for this year and use their wide receivers more for deep threats. There will be some more rough days ahead but I think by the end of the year we will start to see what Rodriguez can do with the spread offense when he has athletes to run it. Make no mistake about it there are athletes all over the field for Michigan. Start with McGuffie, holy cow is this guy fast. And if there is one thing Mich never lacks is wide receivers and this year is no exception.

One thing we must keep in mind not only is this a whole new offense but also all new personnel running it. I think there is one maybe two returning starters from last year. It won't be this year and maybe not even next year but withing 3 or 4 years this offense will be in high gear with all the athletes Mich has.

Anonymous said...

You found those chips in WI?! I have an e-mail into the company asking where in MI I can find these -- I better not be told Hell!

Unknown said...

I found them in a second store about 2 miles from here today. The one in the pic will be on its way this coming week.

carriegel said...

we had those steaks tonight with your marinade. excellent.

Unknown said...

I want to see pictures.

And you will really enjoy my Sunday dinner this week.