Saturday, August 23, 2008

Sunday Dinner - 17 August 2008

Yeah I know I am a little bit behind but you know better late than never. I do have a good excuse though, my back has been bothering me for the last week. As I noted on a previous remark to a post it happens about once and sometimes twice a year. I can't explain it but it will go away as mysteriously as it appears. Today it isn't to bad so I think I can manage now.

Ahhh but you don't care about my problems you are only here to see this weeks Sunday Dinner Episode. So without further adieu let's get on with the show.

Have you ever had something stuck in your head so long that your finally decide it is time to do it? That's what happen to me this last week and how I came across this weeks Sunday Dinner. I have been telling the wife I was going to cook this weeks Sunday Dinner this whole summer so finally I decided to do it. I was a little worried because I have never ate it before and I wasn't really sure I wanted to spend a lot of money on an experiment that might fail. But like I have said before "Nothing ventured nothing gained."

So what is this weeks Sunday Dinner (or should I say last weeks?). Well here it is.................
Photobucket
Rack of Lamb.

Yep, never have had it. How about you? Kind of expensive to buy but, oh well, when you want to try something what else are you going to do? I have wanted to try lamb ever since our fair days but just never got around to it. It is simple to prepare, maybe one of the simplest Sunday Dinner Episodes I have done. Here are the main characters of the show....
Photobucket
A little salt, pepper, EVOO, and lemon thyme fresh from the herb garden. I put the wood chips in the picture because I needed something to take up space. I said is was simple, no marinading, no exoctic spice rubs just a couple simple ingrediants.

From here I probably don't need to tell you what time it is but it is time to "FIRE UP THE GRILL!!!!!!"
Photobucket

First thing to do is to brown on both sides..................
Photobucket

Next add the wood chips, move the racks over indirect heat, and cover (remember always grill with the lid on) and watch the beautiful smoke rise out of the grill.
Photobucket
I never tire of seeing that.

I always use a temperture probe when I cook meat because I can't tell when the meat is done the way I like it. Rack of Lamb is suppose to be cooked to meduim rare which is around 130 degrees.
Photobucket
I wasn't to sure about that so I cooked one to 132 degrees and the other to 140 degrees. I think the one cooked to 140 degrees was actually better tasting than the other one. The other thing I did was (this will make the true rack of lamb conisouers cringe) after I cut the racks apart I seared them real quick on the grill.

After the rack of lamb was cooked this is what it looked like.....
Photobucket

And the final plating......
Photobucket

This photo was taken before I seared them again on the grill. If I cook them again I will definitly sear them on the grill to finish them. I thought they tasted better after I seared them. I am not sure how to score them since I have never had lamb before but I will give them a 3.75 out of 5 forks. The lamb wasn't has bad as I thought it might be or as bad as some of the horror stories I have heard about lamb. If I was comparing to pork or beef though I am afraid it would come in third place to both. I sorry but I will still take pork as number one and beef as number two. But if you are looking for something differant try rack of lamb.

5 comments:

jporterGOP said...

HE'S ALIVE!!!

Unknown said...

That's right and I'll bet they don't have food like this in those dorm cafeterias.

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna pass on this. I don't eat lamb. M has and likes it, but too bad.

carriegel said...

i don't eat lamb either just on principle. you can add veal to that list too.

but d had lamb in new zealand and liked it. to each his own i guess.

and speaking of alive. who is this curlz charachter who leaves comments all over other people's blogs but nary a word on her own? mmmmmm

carriegel said...

i forgot to add, maggie ate lamb (lamb & rice dog food). how's that for logic, i won't eat it but i fed it to my dog.