Monday, September 1, 2008

Sunday Dinner - 31 August 2008

Well well look at this the Sunday Dinner Episode posted the next day. How efficient is that? It helps to have Monday off and the only thing I really need to do today is read some more for my upcoming test. Oh I better not forget to go pick up the wife either since she will be arriving on the boat around noon today. And speaking about the wife since she is gone this is my chance to make a Sunday Dinner I have been looking forward to for a long time. Since she doesn't like seafood or mushrooms can you guess what this dinner will be all about? If you guessed seafood and mushrooms you would be correct.
Photobucket
Shrimp and seafood skewers with a portabella and roasted pepper salad. Mmmm good.

Let's get started.

First let's introduce the cast of charcters for the Portabella and Roasted Pepper Salad:
Photobucket
Lots of flavors going on here but first thing we must do to make this salad is "FIRE UP THE GRILL!!!"

Roast the peppers.........
Photobucket

Mix a marinade up with the ingrediants in the above pic and apply to the portabella mushrooms..........
Photobucket
From here is is pretty simple cut up the peppers and mushrooms, mix together with some capers and some of the marinade that was reserved from the mushrooms and let set for an hour or so at room temperature.

Enough about salads though let's get to the real stars of this episode:
Photobucket
Scallops, shrimp and anduille sausage.

First thing that needed to be done was to make the marinades for both the scallops and shrimp. The scallop marinade is a little more involved because it starts with browning the anduille sausage on the stove top with onions, EVOO and water. Once the water evaporates and the little brown bits form on the bottom of the pan the pan gets deglazed with the white wine vinegar. Dump what is left over from the pan into a bowl and add oregano, a little more EVOO, salt and pepper. Add the scallops and let marinade.
Photobucket

For the shrimp mix together lemon juice, EVOO, paprika, granulated garlic, salt and pepper. Pour over the shrimp and let set for a half hour or so.

Once this is done it is time to go outside and one more time "FIRE UP THE GRILL!!!!" Yeah the original fire wasn't hot enough to use again.

Once the fire is hot enough it is time to fix up the skewers.....
Photobucket
....and head out on put them on the grill.
Photobucket

Aren't they looking good?
Photobucket
Just wait until they are done. Oh wait through the magic of pictures they are already done.
Photobucket
How about a closer look....
Photobucket
Oh my don't those look good but before I can sample one I must, as hard as this is, get the entire meal on a plate to take the final picture.
Photobucket

The salad will get a 4 out of 5 forks. It could have used more mushrooms in it but it had good flavor. Definitely a keeper.

I will give the shrimp a 4.5 out of 5 forks and the scallops a 4.75 out of 5 forks. The marinade on the scallops was great. I wasn't to sure about marinading the the scallops but it turned out the be the way to do it. I might have to put the wife on a boat more often so I can enjoy my seafood. I must admit I think it is my favorite type of food. And what a better way to top off a meal of this caliber then with this.....
Photobucket

That will do it for the summer portion of Sunday Dinners cooked on the grill. Oh I will still be using the grill into the fall for some Sunday Dinners but it is time to do something new for the fall. I am still not sure what I am going to do so I was hoping for some suggestions. I am leaning towards doing some tailgating episodes but that takes me right back to the grill and I would like to wean myself off from the grill before winter gets here.

Regardless what happens stayed tuned because Sunday Episodes will continue.

6 comments:

Shaelynn said...

Those looked amazing. I'm starting to get a craving for seafood...

megawatt miler said...

that looks awesome.

i would enjoy a tailgating episode!

Anonymous said...

Lookin' good! I vote for a tailgating episode and look forward to chowders/soups in the winter ... hint, hint.

Unknown said...

Chowders and soups will be coming and I will probably be mixing them in throughout fall and winter. The wife will never let me get through the fall without making corn chowder.

carriegel said...

jeez, when d leaves town that is my excuse not to cook. you are making me look bad.

Unknown said...

That is my chance to cook what I want.