Saturday, September 13, 2008

Saturday Recap

Okay I will give credit where credit is due Notre Dame won the game today. Both teams had to play in the same conditions with the same refs. But I must give a recap of the game and the way I saw it.

First of all Michigan. The youth of Michigan's offense really came out in this game. In the first quarter alone they committed two fumbles, one was a lateral behind the quarterback, and they were costly. Once Michigan was down by 14 points I knew they would have a hard time coming back because their offense isn't clicking yet. I have to give the young Wolverines credit though because they did fight back only to give the ball up down near the goal line, twice. It is hard to win when you give up the ball like that. Hopefully they will learn.

The defense was alright, they didn't really do anything to lose the game but they didn't give a dominate performance like I was hoping to win it either. The defense will need to get better because the offense will struggle all year to win games for them.

After ND beating them today I think I may have to revise my picks for the rest of the year. I am hoping for a 4-8 season now.

As for ND I hope the fans don't get to caught up in this victory because ND didn't really win this game as much as Michigan lost it. Michigan out gained them on offense and that isn't a good sign considering Michigan's recent struggles on offense. I will give ND's offense a break because it was pretty ugly weather during the game. Michigan gave them the first 14 points of the game. Let's keep in mind too that ND gave up 131 rushing yards to a freshman running back behind a very inexperienced offensive line. Wait until ND plays MSU, a team with a real running game.

This is a feel good game for ND and they needed one but next week against MSU they will be brought back to reality. But enjoy it for this week. It wouldn't surprise to see ND show up in the top 25, heck they will probably show up in the top 5 rankings because the national media will be gushing all over them thinking the magic of Charlie Weis is back.

As for MSU I watched the game and it was pretty ugly. I have to give them a break though because of the weather. MSU was lucky to have a running back of Ringer's capability for a day like today. He certainly made the difference today. He will give ND fits next week. This could finally be the year for MSU with a win next week they should have the confidence to play with anybody in the Big Ten. I will give props to MSU's defense too for getting a shut out today.

It is half time for Ohio State right now and it isn't looking good. USC's speed is showing up in the game. OSU looks a half step slower right now. I will say this though that Terrel Pryor is going to be a great college quarterback. Michigan was so close to getting him and what a difference it would have made if they did.

5 comments:

jporterGOP said...

my Lord, OSU sucks

megawatt miler said...

i did get cassel and i am starting him-we'll see how it goes.

Unknown said...

I can't for the life of me figure out why pollsters keep putting OSU in the top 5 in the country. They have a good team but not a top 5 or even a top 10. As hard as this is for me to admit the whole Big 10 can't compete with SEC, PAC 10 or the BIG 12. They even struggle with some teams from mid majors too.

I am not sure what Wisconsin ended up doing last night but if they won they will probably be in the top 10 and possible close to no. 5. They aren't that good either.

My top 5 as I see right now:
1. USC
2. Oklahoma
3. Missouri
4. Florida
5. Georgia

carriegel said...

they looked so slow compared to usc. they never had a chance.

jporterGOP said...

the Big 10 is terrible.

Terrell Pryor is the only hope for the Big 10