Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Sunday Dinner - 7 September 2008

It's a new chapter in the Sunday Dinner Episodes starting with this week. Now I must warn you this weeks episode might not seem so different from this past summer but as long as the weather holds out I will still use the grill. Plus if I am going to be doing some tailgating episodes I almost have to do them with a grill. I mean let's get real have you ever saw a stove and oven at a tailgate party?

This weeks episode is something I have been wanting to do for some time now. Originally I was going to post this meal as a random weekly post but the more I thought about it the more I thought this would make a great first tailgating Episode.

What am I talking about? Well let's take a look......
Photobucket Image Hosting
Hamburgers, well at least for the wife mine is actually a cheese burger.

You are probably looking at the picture right now thinking to yourself "That cheap bastard didn't even use hamburg buns." There is a reason for that, the first hamburgers ever made were made with plain white toasted bread with no condiments. The place that claims to have invented hamburgers is still in business today and still uses the same gas fired toasters they used in the beginning. And from what I understand if you go in there and ask for ketchup you won't get it. I'm not that radical and maybe I am being a little cheap by not using hamburg buns but I get tired of watching half of them mold and being thrown out.

I normally start out with sirloin burger because it has little fat content but the store didn't have sirloin this week so I had to settle for ground chuck. Sirloin does cost a little more per pound but when it is just the wife and I it doesn't really add to no more then a few pennies.

Hamburgers are on of my favorite food groups so I don't know why I don't eat them more. In the summer we eat them about once per month and in the winter even less. Maybe it's that fast food stigma that gets attached to hamburgers. I stay away from fast food so maybe that is why I don't eat many hamburgers any more.

Enough of the chit chat let's get on with the real reason we are here. First let's introduce the main cast of characters.
Photobucket Image Hosting

If you noticed I didn't use the above mentioned white bread for toast. I use the bread I have on hand and this week like all weeks it is wheat bread.

First things first and we must cook the bacon.
Photobucket Image Hosting

After the bacon comes the onions....
Photobucket Image Hosting
I spray olive oil on them and then sprinkle some salt and pepper on them too.

After the onions have a good start it is time for the star of the show, the burger.
Photobucket Image Hosting

Once the burger is cooked it is time to bring out the structural engineers and start building the burger, my ultimate burger.

Stack those grilled onions on...
Photobucket Image Hosting

Now some bacon....
Photobucket Image Hosting
And yes that is apple smoked bacon.

And now for the finishing touch....
Photobucket Image Hosting
Grande Provolone cheese, simply the best of provolone cheeses.

Lower the grill top for a couple of minutes and presto.....
Photobucket Image Hosting
....my ultimate cheese burger. Oops not yet we must prepare the toast.
Photobucket Image Hosting
Spray a little olive oil on the bread and watch them carefully it doesn't take to long to burn them. Believe me I know I have done it.

The only thing left to do is to decide on condiments.
Photobucket Image Hosting
My choices are kosher dill pickles, stacker style, dijon mustard, and Frank's Red Hot.

Put all this together and this is what you have....
Photobucket Image Hosting

The ultimate cheese burger, well at least my ultimate cheese burger. That's the beauty of hamburgers there is a thousand ways to make them and everybody has their own favorite.

The potato salad will get a 3.5 out of 5 forks because our quaint little market didn't have fresh dill available and I was to lazy to drive into Plymouth to find it. The burger will get a 5 out of 5 because after all this is MY ultimate burger.

Now tell me what is your ultimate burger?

5 comments:

jporterGOP said...

you stay away from fast food yet you still use hamburger, bacon, and cheese?

carriegel said...

if i order a hamburger i almost always have grilled mushrooms on it and either onions or cheese.

no bacon. that just takes a bad for you food and makes it worse.

i plan on trying oprah's favorite turkey burger someday and will report on that.

jporterGOP said...

you should deliver food to my office...that'd be nice of you.

Unknown said...

I rarely use bacon on burgers but I was making my ultimate burger and bacon is part of my ultimate burger. Normally I would stop at the onions and cheese and every now and then mushrooms.

Anonymous said...

Mine would have a thick slice of tomato on it, no onion.