Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Sunday Dinner - 14 September 2008

Mother nature reared its ugly head this weekend and completely changed my plans for this weeks Sunday Dinner Episode. I shouldn't complain because I can't begin to even count how many Sundays in a row I have been able to use the grill outside. Sunday morning when I woke up the rain was still coming down (thank you Ike) so I jumped into the car and headed to the grocery store with a new plan for this week.

I always have a few things stored away in my noggin just for days like this. Since it is fall and the weather is cooling off it's a good time for some chowder. And since it is turning to fall and I am making chowder the wife is asking me to make corn chowder.

Photobucket

The wife likes her corn chowder so come fall she will ask and ask for me to make it so I thought I might as well get it out of the way this year. Besides this is a good time for corn chowder because you can still find good corn on the cob.

Let's meet this weeks cast of characters.

Photobucket

Quite a cast this week don't you think?

First thing to do is find that old friend called the dutch oven. Some of the best winter time meals come from this vessel. Start out with browning some apple smoked ham.

Photobucket

While the ham is browning we might as well chop up some veggies.

Photobucket

I can't remember if this is a mirepoix or trinity. Just looked it up on the internet it is a mirepoix. Whatever, throw it in the pot......

Photobucket

.....and cook until veggies are soft.

Photobucket

I should mention this because like every other week I forgot one cast member in the picture above, the white wine. I used about a half of cup of white wine to deglaze the dutch oven after the veggies were cooked. I let this cook until the white wine is almost evaporated and then I move on.

Chop up some potatoes and add them to the pot and then just add enough chicken broth (low sodium) to cover potatoes and bring to a boil. While waiting for the pot to come to a boil we might as well cut the corn off the cob.

Photobucket

Hey don't throw those cobs out we can still use them. Add the cobs to the boiling mixture and turn down to a simmer.

Photobucket

Let simmer until the potatoes are tender.

Photobucket

Once the potatoes are tender you have a decision to make. Do you like your chowder thick or thin? I prefer mine thick and since I am cooking today I am going to make it thick. All I do is take a spoon and smash the potatoes against the side of the dutch oven until I have the chowder to the thickness I like.

Photobucket

Once this is done I add the corn we cut off the cobs earlier and then I add the half and half.

Photobucket

If you can find real cream it is much better but if you are like me you don't really need any real cream in your life. I suppose you could use regular milk too but hey let's not get to carried away.

I heat this back up real slow so the corn will cook but I don't let it come back to a boil.

While the chowder is heating back up I get my garnish ready.

Photobucket

And cut some bread because whenever you are going to have soup you need bread.

Photobucket

And now it is time for the final picture with everything put together.

Photobucket

A little close up of the garnish.

Photobucket

I love green onions on any soup, chowder, or chili.

This weeks Sunday Episode gets a 5 out of 5 spoons. I think the apple smoked ham and the fresh corn on the cob put this chowder over the edge. I think it might be my best effort to date for corn chowder.

The next cold day you have give this one a try. Easy to make and you probably have most of the ingredients on hand. I have made it several times without ham or bacon and it still comes out good.

9 comments:

carriegel said...

yum, i will be making this.

jporterGOP said...

if me and grandma ever come visit, i want some chowder.

but i want clam chowder.

Anonymous said...

i'll be making this one too. i'm half-way there with the potato soup i made last night.

Unknown said...

I knew peej would say he wanted clam chowder.

This really isn't much different than potato soup, just add corn.

Unknown said...

Oh I should note the amount of items you see in the picture isn't necessarily the amount I used in the chowder. There isn't room in the picture for everything.

jporterGOP said...

why wouldn't i want clam chowder? it's the best

megawatt miler said...

yum-i want clam chowder too!

jporterGOP said...

sarah knows where it's at

Unknown said...

I prefer clam chowder too but I am the only one who will eat it here.