Sunday, October 19, 2008

Saturday Recap - Redwings 5 NY Rangers 4

At least one of my teams is winning to bad it's a hockey team and not a football team. But we must talk football this morning and not hockey.

I'm not sure what else I can say about Michigan that hasn't been said already. The bowl game is out of the picture breaking their streak at 33 or something like that. I'm not sure there is another winnable game on the schedule either although I am sure they will pull an upset somewhere when we all least expect it. I'm not going to complain though because I have been following Michigan football for 40 years and this is the first losing season I can remember. Oh I remember one year when they finished 6-6 or something like that but still not a real losing season.

What upsets me is everybody complaining about the coaching and the people who think he should be fired. I'm not sure what everybody expected this year but anyone with any knowledge about football knew a year ago this year was going to be tough because the entire offense was graduating. Michigan has one person left from last year on offense everyone else is either a freshman or sophomore. This fact along with Rich Rod installing a completely new offense at Michigan and you are left with a team that is going to struggle for a year if not two. The other problem with Michigan is they were left without any quarterbacks from last year. Their starter graduated and the second string decided to transfer when Rich Rod was hired as coach because he didn't want to be in the spread offense. I not sure any of the quarterbacks Michigan has left would start for any other Division 1 school. Threet is the only one that could possible start for another team but even he needs more time.

Michigan will be back if everybody stays patient. And for those of you not Michigan fans enjoy it for now because in a couple of years when they finally get the personnel they need for the spread offense Michigan will once again be back on top.

Yesterdays game was a surprise at least for the first half. I didn't think Michigan would hang on to the lead because Penn State is too good on offense this year. What I did like in the first half though was Michigan finally ran the spread offense like it is suppose to be ran. The quarterback ran the ball for yardage and that opened up the inside for the running back to gain some yards. I'm not sure why Michigan got away from this but they did in the second half. Once again I'm not sure why Rodriguez changed quarterbacks in the second half but I thought it completely changed Michigan.

Let's talk MSU football. What is there to say they got their clocks cleaned by Ohio State. MSU is just what I thought, one dimensional, and OSU exploited them. If you stop Ringer you stop MSU. What will be interesting is will MSU fold like a cheap lawn chair like they do every year or will they bounce back? They better not sulk to long because I think next week is the MSU/UofM game and MSU doesn't want to lose to Mich this year. MSU is loaded with seniors and this is their best chance to beat Michigan and if they don't it could be years before they do.

Michigan Tech won again this week beating Indy 31 - 28. If you want to read the article here is the link:

http://www.michigantechhuskies.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18800&ATCLID=1606497

Michigan Tech is now 6-2 and plays Saginaw Valley next week.

Here is this weeks top 5. It sure has changed since I last posted my top 5 from two weeks ago.

This weeks top 5:
1. Texas
2. Southern Cal
3. Alabama
4. Oklahoma
5. Texas Tech

You may be wondering why I haven't included Penn State? Well I still am not sold on them or the Big Ten. When the Big Ten team can beat a team from another conference other than the MAC then I will give them some consideration.

My Heisman is as follows:

1. Colt McCoy - quarterback - Texas
2. Sam Bradford - quarterback - Oklahoma
3. Tim Tebow - quarterback - Florida
4. Gramham Harrel - quarterback - Texas Tech

For now I think this is a four person race. Stayed tuned it will probably change by next week.

4 comments:

jporterGOP said...

Boy, it sure is the year of the quarterback in college football.

Unknown said...

I thought it looked odd having all quarterbacks on my Heisman list but try to come up with a running back or receiver to put on the list. The closest would be Ringer and he took himself out of the race this past weekend. We will see if he can get himself back into the race against Michigan next week.

jporterGOP said...

So here's the question I have...

If Ball State or Boise State run the table, do they get considered for the national championship?

Unknown said...

No. Neither could run the table in the SEC or Big 12. I doubt they would run the table any of the BCS conferences. Boise can get a BCS bowl game if they go undefeated but not Ball State.