Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Sunday Dinner - 19 October 2008

With this post I will officially be caught up on my Sunday Dinner Episodes and get on to bigger and better things like football predictions. I know you all look forward to those.

This may be a record for a Sunday Dinner for how short it will be. I didn't take near as many pictures as I normally do because the Lions were on while I was cooking. Yeah I know, I know, why am I wasting time watching the Lions when I could be doing more constructive things like cleaning toilets or castrating pigs. Well I guess I like to be disappointed on Sundays.

This weeks Sunday Dinner Episode isn't a disappointment at all. This weeks Sunday Dinner is the ultimate in comfort food.

Photobucket

Beef Stew. I love the stuff, I could eat it once a month. The leftovers are even better come Wednesday night.

Let's take a look at this weeks cast of characters.

Photobucket

As usual there are a couple of ingredients missing see if you can guess which ones.

Beef stew is pretty simple to make, start by browning some stew meat.

Photobucket

Once the beef is browned add some wine and scrap all the yum yums off the bottom of the dutch oven. Once that is done add some beef broth and other seasonings and add the beef back in and bring to a boil. After it comes to a boil cover and let simmer for an hour or so. I then add the carrots and a half hour later I add the potatoes, pearl onions and mushrooms.

Photobucket

Let it cook for another half hour or so until the potatoes are done and then guess what?

Photobucket

That's right add those nasty peas. And don't forget to take out the bay leaves.

Once the peas are cooked it's time to serve.

Photobucket

There you have it the Ultimate Beef Stew courtesy of Tyler Florance from the Food Network.

Did you notice the big ole onion in the middle of all that goodness? That's the best part about making beef stew, eating the whole onion that has been cooked in the stew. Don't get in my way when there is a whole onion in beef stew you might get hurt.

I'll rate this stew a 4.75 our of 5 forks. I'm not sure what to do to give it a 5 but I'm sure I forgot something or other besides it gives me something to shoot for the next time I make it.

Once again let's take one more look.

Photobucket

The ultimate in comfort food right there my friends.

6 comments:

jporterGOP said...

I always got the second onion

Unknown said...

I forgot to mention in my post but the whole onion idea comes from Grandpa W. I meant to give him credit but forgot.

JP said...

I love the onions.

megawatt miler said...

i made it for the first time last year, the recipe i used was very similar-yum!!!

Anonymous said...

mom always added extra onions just for you! while i agree they add flavor, i don't want to eat them.

carriegel said...

what are you people talking about? we ate this at home? there were extra onions? do i know you people?