Monday, October 20, 2008

Sunday Dinner - 5 October 2008

Finally I'm back to full operation again. Not only was my wireless modem bad but my wireless Internet connection to my pc was bad too. Verizon was good enough to replace my modem buy I had to replace the wireless connection. Oh well somebody has to spend money and get this economy going again.

I have a mini backup for my Sunday Dinner Episodes so I think I will do two this week and get caught up. I will be skipping one week because while my computer was on vacation last week I didn't make a Sunday Dinner. If you remember that was the Sunday before I had to take the LEED test so I was busy studying up for the test. I do have, however, an episode from yesterday that I will be posting later this week.

This Sunday Episode meal is a perfect type meal for a cool fall day. It is a old comfort food that should get more attention paid to it. If you are a chicken lover and always looking for different ways to use chicken this may be the one for you. I normally use Rachael Ray's recipe but this time I opted for a different recipe. If could remember where I got it from I would tell you but since it has been a couple of weeks since I cooked it I can't really remember. If somebody really wants it I am sure I can come up with it though.

Without further adieu let me introduce you to this weeks Sunday Episode.
Photobucket

Chicken A la King or something like that. A couple of times a year I get a craving for Chicken A la King and like most cravings I get I can't get it out of my mind until I make it.

Let me introduce this weeks cast of characters for you.
Photobucket

First thing we must do is marinade the chicken in some buttermilk and probably some other indgrediants which escapes my mind at this moment.
Photobucket

Stick the chicken in the ice box for a minimum of 2 hours. Meanwhile we can get started with the preparation of the other characters of this episode.

Start with hacking up some veggies.
Photobucket

Throw them in a good ole cast iron skillet.
Photobucket

And cook until soft.
Photobucket

Add a little bit of flour and stir in and let cook for a couple of more minutes.
Photobucket

Add a little wine, now I know it is suppose to be white wine but all I had was red wine so I used it. You can cut out the wine completely and just use chicken broth too if you want.
Photobucket

And speaking about chicken broth it is time to add it along with a little half and half. Yeah I know it is suppose to be real cream but I think I have told you before I don't really need the cream and milk just doesn't get it so half and half is a good compromise. Most of you out there probably know already but if you don't half and half is half cream and half milk. Now doesn't that just make a whole lot of sense? Pretty original name eh?
Photobucket

Time to add the chicken and let cook until done. Once cooked it is time to add the peas and I would show you a picture of the peas being added but it was out of focus so I threw it out. Not all my pictures turn out.
Photobucket

While the chicken is cooking we can take this time to toast up some bread. Our choice this week was an Italian loaf brushed with a little butter and toasted in the oven.

Once done this is what it all looks like.
Photobucket

Mmmmmm good, leftovers for the middle of the week too, can't beat that. I am giving this meal a 4.5 out of 5 forks because I was suppose to use white wine instead of red wine. Other than that I thought this chicken A la King was better than the Rachael Ray recipe I have been cooking. If you are after a quicker way of cooking Chicken A la King Rachael's recipe is a good one to use though.

Let's take a look at that first picture again.
Photobucket

My, my that does look good. Long live the King.

7 comments:

carriegel said...

take out those pesky peas and I am on board.

Anonymous said...

i'm on board -- leave the pesky peas and take out the half and half though.

Unknown said...

You don't have to use peas you can put anything in you want.

I didn't use the hole cartoon of half and half only about half of it. You can use milk or even skim milk but you will loose some flavor and creamyness.

jporterGOP said...

so you used quarter and half?

JP said...

I just scrolled past the entire dinner to comment this:

I thought it was very funny that you think you singlehandedly got the economy going again.

Now I'm going to read the rest.

JP said...

Looks delicious. It makes me miss living at home. All I eat anymore is noodles.

Unknown said...

That's the power of a $40 piece of computer equipment.