Friday, October 3, 2008

Sunday Dinner - 28 September 2008

Okay so I'm running a little late this week, again. I've been getting home at night and been a little lazy this week. I have no real excuse its not like I have been overly busy at work this week. It's just one of those lazy weeks. Maybe reading about the 49 mile bike journey wore me out. I guess I'm not sure but that's my story for now and I's sticking to it.

This weeks Sunday Dinner Episode isn't about any great ideas I came up with this week or about any inspiring cooking shows I watched this week. Nope this weeks Sunday Dinner comes from the freezer. You see I am trying to clean out the freezer right now so we can start to load it up again this fall with soups and gumbos. By having soups and gumbos at your fingertips in the freezer you always have something to eat on those lazy days. I know, I know my freezer isn't big enough right now for those lazy days.

Enough about that let's get on with this weeks Sunday Episode. Let me introduce you to this weeks episode.
Photobucket

Barbecue pork with cole slaw. One of my favorite meals of all time. If you slow cook the pork butt (I'm not sure why it is call a pork butt since it comes from the front shoulder of the pig)it will turn out nice and moist and some of the most favorable meat you can eat. Mmmm I love the stuff.

This weeks cast of characters includes the following.
Photobucket

Pretty simple really. First thing we must do is make up a rub for the pork butt. To do this simply dump a few ingredients into a bowl and mix them up.
Photobucket

There are so many different rubs out there you can buy or like me you can make your own. The most important thing to remember is use what you like and like what you use. I think we have heard that before eh?
Photobucket

The idea of a rub is to just what the name implies, rub it all over the meat. Pretty obvious huh? After the rub is rubbed all over to your liking it's time to go to the grill.
Photobucket

As you can see I have added a pan of apple juice, water and some left over white wine I had. Why the white wine? Because like I said it was left over and why not use it up.

While the pork is cooking away its time to make up some cole slaw. Normally I will just buy the jarred stuff off the shelf buy today I decided to make my own. As you can see it pretty simple ingredients.

Photobucket

Let's check in on the pork butt.
Photobucket

Mmm, looking good. I did try one thing different with this pork butt. Normally I would cook the pork butt for 10-12 hours on the smoker somewhere between 200-225 degrees. I have read a couple of recipes lately that said to cook the pork from 300-350 degrees and it will cut the cooking time in half. I decided to try it to see if there was any difference or not and see if cooking the pork butt is worth the extra 4 hours or so.

Let's take a look at the finished product.
Photobucket

What do you think? Can you tell I cooked it in half the time? Well to be honest it looks good and it tasted good but, but it isn't as good as cooking it for 10-12 hours. It was lacking some good smokey flavor I can get when it cooks for 10-12 hours. I will give it a 4 out of 5 forks this time, good but not excellent.

To be honest though it did come out good enough to do it again. When the time doesn't permit and I am feeling like bbq pork I will definitely do this again.

Oh should I mention the bonus of cooking a whole pork butt? Just in case I didn't I will now, with the leftovers you can make bbq pork pizza. Take a look.
Photobucket

Good stuff.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just tried a new sloppy joe recipe that called for putting the cabbage in the mix. Didn't think I like that so I put it on top -- very good too. Would definitely do it again.

JP said...

That looks delicious.

jporterGOP said...

the cole slaw/bbq combination is one of my favorite foods ever

Unknown said...

I was a little hesitant putting cole slaw on bbq pork at first but after I tried it now it is the only way I eat it.

I have never tried it on sloppy joes but there is no reason it wouldn't be good. I must confess my favorite sloppy joe mix is out of a jar and called "Not So Sloppy Joes"

carriegel said...

i am going to have to try that one, as soon as i get over the tragedy of my cookies.