Monday, May 19, 2008

The Jock Update

I thought I might spend some time tonight and update everybody what I have been up to for the last week.

As everybody knows I had to send my camera out to get fixed so I haven't had any pictures to post. I have received word that I will have my camera back tomorrow. I can hardly wait since I found the macro lens for it. I am curious to see if it will do what I hope it will do. My camera has never been good at close ups and I am hope the macro lens will do the trick. I want to be able to take pictures like the one big sis took this weekend.
Photobucket
Last weekend I finally finished a side job I had been working on for two weeks. After this one was finished I received another one to finish the kitchen at Midland Christian School and I worked on this one for the last week. One problem with this one though, it was a freebie. I had told the school two years ago when I knew they wanted to finish the kitchen I would do it for nothing. I kept my word but it took a lot more work than I originally thought it would. Oh well. I just received word today I have a good chance of designing the new Diary Queen in Midland. It looks like to me it will be one with ice cream only, smart people.

Oh I did the usual chores around the house that is expected of me like mow the lawn (with much straighter lines I might add), got the weed whipper out and trimmed all around the house and trees. The lawn looks pretty good other than the mess from installing the new septic system. I wish the landlord would get it cleaned up. I got my garden planted with cherry tomatoes, big boys, red and green peppers, basil, parsley, and some other items. I should mention that all my garden is planted in planter boxes. When I get my camera back I will start taking pictures and show the progress it makes. I just need to keep the wife away from it because she has a habit of killing plants.
Photobucket
Last Saturday we went to Fond Du Lac to check out a new grocery store the wife had learned about from a coworker. Turns out this may be the best grocery store in the area. It reminded me of Meijers. They have the best choices of produce in the area. They even had key limes, imagine that.

And speaking about key limes the wife and I have finally settle on a key lime pie for the contest. I am about sick of key lime pies so I will be glad when this is over. The first key lime pie the wife made was from Barefoot Contessa which was very good and very tart. The third pie she made was a dud, it won't be coming to the contest. The last one she made this last weekend is from Emeril. You don't have to freeze it and you actually cook it. It has a sour cream topping on it. Very good, maybe a touch better than the Contessa one, not so tart. But the best one is the second one she made. Ohhhhh I got to tell you it is sooo good. I can't tell you where it came from, at least not just yet, but trust me it's good. Championship good.

I have been doing the usual cooking around here, nothing to really report on for I haven't done anything unusual or new lately. I did cook a pork butt yesterday in the Weber with my new Smokenator 1000. After ten hours of long slow cooking out comes some of the best tasting pork you will ever have. I love those bbq pork sandwiches with cole slaw on them. This might be one of my favorite meals.

I did make a new type of bbq sauce this weekend, it's a little tangy. I may take out some of the vinegar and replace it with a little brown sugar to sweeten it up a bit. I think I might bring this one with me next weekend. The other bbq sauce I have been working on just didn't get it the last time I made it. It is missing something and I just can't figure it out.

That's about all the excitement we have had around here for the last couple of weeks. I have a couple of post ideas I hope to get to this week while I have a little time.

The above pictures are compliments of peej from last summer. The first one is Iw0 Jima memorial. It is a good picture and would have been a great picture if he had got the whole flag in it. The second one is taken on Pennsylvania Avenue looking back at the capital building.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny. I made Emeril's key lime pie recipe a few weeks ago too. Too sweet for my liking. We, too, are tired of key lime pie. Made one over the weekend -- complete failure. Don't use macadamia nuts for a key-lime pie crust. The two textures aren't good together.

Guess what mom's making for J's open house?

jporterGOP said...

i'm hoping you're going to say red cake, but i have a feeling that i'm wishing for something impossible

megawatt miler said...

im there if theres red cake!

Unknown said...

If there is red cake it means it's close to my birthday and that baby is coming back to Wisconsin with me. I will leave the key lime pie though.

My guess is she is making bbq pork.

Anonymous said...

yes, it is bbq pork. jo-bologna is getting a red cake soon though. 21st birthday's are like that.