Sunday, May 25, 2008

The Smells of the U.P.

I had a busy day today, ok not really. But I was busy this morning trying to decide how I wanted to cook the ribs today (reminds me of someone else I know trying to decide between polka dots or plain fabric). Of course they were going into the smoker but the big decisions needed to be made. Do I want to marinade them or put a rub on them. Tough decisions but I finally made up my mind. What really made my decision was when I looked into the cupboard and there staring me in the face was some left over rub from another rib cook out. The bbq sauce decision was an easy one since I had spent yesterday making some.
Photobucket
I really hadn't planned on writing about the ribs but they came out so good tonight I thought they deserved at least a mention. I used the St. Louis cut this time instead of the baby back style I normally use. The St. Louis cut has more meat on them and as I found out also takes longer to cook. This might possibly be my best effort yet cooking ribs I am going to give them a 4.75 out of 5 with the only improvement needed is a little more cooking time.

The real reason for tonight's post is this:
Photobucket
I know of a couple of hoodlums out there will know what all this is for and I hope they are drooling right now. This is the peach cobbler we used to make when we were at the cabin or out camping. I think this could possible be one the the best smells in all the world, peach cobbler cooking over an open fire at night. Brings back memories.

This is one of the simplest cobblers to make. Just follow the pictures.

Start by lighting a fire in the chimney starter.
Photobucket

Dump everything into the dutch oven.
Photobucket

Cook. Oh the smells when it is cooking.
Photobucket

Take off the fire when done.
Photobucket

Serve with ice cream and enjoy.
Photobucket

I wanted to make this tonight because I haven't made it for a couple of years and I thought I might need a trial run before I make it next weekend. (By the way do I need to bring my dutch ovens with me or will there be one or two available?)

What could be better, bbq ribs and peach cobbler, oh yeah.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Got two dutch ovens at your disposal while you are here. For sure bring some of the BBQ sauce -- those ribs looked amazing!

carriegel said...

i wondered why those ribs looked different.

you need to put almond extract in that peach cobbler to make it really good. trust me on that one.

Unknown said...

Bbq sauce is ready to go.

What you need to remember about this peach cobbler it needs to remain simple because it is a camp fire dessert. All you do is dump all the ingredients in and wait, you can't be hauling the entire pantry out to the woods with you.

Unknown said...

I sent an email but do your dutch ovens have legs on them like the one in the picture?

megawatt miler said...

so are we getting ribs next weekend or what?

Unknown said...

yes, on sunday, be there

megawatt miler said...

im staying now.

Anonymous said...

yes, brother, they're the real McCoy -- with legs and all.