Tuesday, December 30, 2008

And More Pictures....

Dateline Monday December 22, 2008.

This is the day we picked to go grocery shopping for our meals for the rest of the week plus we needed to buy the rest of our ingredients for our impending throwdown. Imagine if you will three generations of Porters' descending on Meijers. Well we survived and so did Meijers even after the minor misunderstanding regarding crab legs. Needless to say we ended up with salmon to eat that night. Since I rarely get to eat deep fried salmon these days I welcomed the opportunity.

Anybody who has ever had the opportunity to eat deep fried salmon that dad makes knows it is the best you will ever have. The salmon is meticulously breaded and precisely cooked to perfection. I don't think I could ever duplicate how he cooks salmon so I never try. I liken it to cooking ma's red cake just no way to properly duplicate it so don't even try.

Photobucket

Look at all the salmon being precisely lined up getting ready to be breaded.

Photobucket

I should note I only took the very last picture on this post today. I will gladly give peej all the credit. Also notice it is light outside when this process is started.

Photobucket

Good deep fried salmon takes time to properly fix.

Photobucket

Notice that pesky sink faucet that keeps showing up in the pictures? Keep your eye on it.

Things are progressing along quite nicely.

Photobucket

Every now and then the knives need sharping. In this picture I'm showing an old man a new trick with a "good" knife sharpener.

Photobucket

I hate those sticks he uses but I convince him to use my knife sharpener and he actually likes it.

Photobucket

Now were moving, see we are making progress.

Photobucket

That's quite a pile of fish we got there. It's time for breading and this is where ma comes into the picture.

Photobucket

She says "Get out of my way or we'll never get this done." Notice that pesky faucet again? Notice it's dark outside now?

Once the fish is breaded they are lined up like solders awaiting the deep fryer.

Photobucket

Time to fry and believe me he has this part down to the second.

Photobucket

I see that pesky faucet has shown up in the picture again. Peej must have been intrigued by it because here is the next photo on the camera.

Photobucket

Huh? Is this a statement he is trying to make? Does he think this is art? Is this what they teach in political science? Let's look at some more "artful" photos.

Photobucket

A dead beer can, beautiful.

Photobucket

Another beer can picture? What's this got to do with a fish dinner? What's on his mind?

Photobucket

WTF?

Photobucket

And what is this photo all about? Was it the coffee pot? Maybe the glass of wine? Maybe the bag of bagels or the little beagle in the windowsill. Who knows?

Let's get back to the fish frying and see how we're coming along.

Photobucket

Ah almost done. Let's set the table.

Photobucket

Notice the soup on the table? Yep that's my throwdown anything you can eat with a spoon entry. I call it Roasted Corn and Shrimp Chowder. The fish was very good too. Not as good as catching it fresh out of Lake Michigan but still pretty darn good none the less. I for one welcomed it.

Well time to eat so I will check in again tomorrow with more pictures for you. By tomorrow I will be back behind the camera, at least for most of the pictures.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want fish now! Those looked really, really good!

jporterGOP said...

The picture was of the glass of wine that he has to have when he cooks fish. He was worried that the shrimp wouldn't be good on Christmas because he forgot to drink his glass of wine.

carriegel said...

great story. i see a scrapbook page in this. can't wait to see more pictures.

Unknown said...

Tonight will be a picture story on throwdown chili as the youngest male Porter takes over the kitchen.

Stayed tuned.