Friday, November 7, 2008

Sunday Dinner - 2 November 2008

It's that time of year again when the sun starts to slowly sink farther to the south making the days shorter and shorter. That means the mornings are getting chillier and the days are getting colder. It also means hunting season is here and it won't be long until deer season opens. Even though I haven't gone deer hunting for the last couple of years it doesn't mean I can't cook some of the food I normally cook for hunting season. The one meal I like to cook this time of year when the temperatures cool off is..............
Photobucket
......Chili.

Just so you know I am not a big fan of "normal" chili, by that I mean burger, chili powder, beans, tomatoes and water. A few years ago I was watching an Emeril Live Episode and he made chili, not just any type of chili but sausage chili and instead of using water he used beer. Needless to say he got my attention. It wasn't long and I decided to make it and ever since then I make sausage chili once if not twice a year. I did make one slight change from his recipe Emeril used andouille sausage. Since I could never find andouille sausage when I lived in Michigan I decided to use chirizo instead. If I was the only one eating the chili I would only use chirizo but since I was afraid it would be too spicey if I did only use chirizo sausage I decided to use half chirizo and half sweet italian sausage. I will mention that I did use all chirizo once and ended up winning a chili cook off. Grand prize was a $25 gift certificate from WalMart. Lucky me eh?

Let's get started with the good stuff. First let me introduce you to this weeks cast of characters.

Photobucket

First we must start by browning the sausage and then add some the this weeks cast in the browned sausage.

Photobucket

Now it is time to add the beer.

Photobucket

Okay so I didn't use all beer this time like I normally do I decided since it was just me and the wife I would only use a half of bottle of beer and a half of box of chicken broth.

Bring this to a boil and time to add some more stuff.

Photobucket

Let this cook for a hour to and hour and a half and it should look like this.

Photobucket

Nice and thick and tasty just the way chili should be.

Now that we have the chili cooked we need to decide what type of bowl to serve it in. We might choose one of these...

Photobucket

Nah that bowl is for cereal.

How about this one?

Photobucket

This bowl is normally used for soups, chowders and stews. I suppose it can be used for chili but I think I have a better idea. How about this....

Photobucket

You don't think that looks like a bowl? How about if we do this then?

Photobucket

Now does it look like a bowl? It is hard to beat a bread bowl but try to find one that is the right size. Normally they are to big or to small I can never find the right size. This particular one is a little big but it will do.

I think it is time to fill it....

Photobucket

Don't forget to add the shredded cheddar cheese and green onions on top.

How about a little different angle......

Photobucket

I'll rate this chili a 4.75 spoons out of 5 only because I used chicken broth instead of just beer.

The big bonus with this meal is you get to eat the chili soaked bowl afterwords too. Now how can you beat that no bowls to wash.

How about one more look at this weeks episode.

Photobucket

Perfect meal for a cold chilly Sunday but the only problem was it was 65 degrees on Sunday. Oh well can't be perfect.

5 comments:

megawatt miler said...

yum-i love bread bowls!

someone at work brought in venison chili this week, it wasnt too bad either.

jporterGOP said...

I had chili for the first time this season yesterday for lunch. We had it in the cafeteria. It isn't sausage chili, but it was OK. What kind of beer was that? You never showed the label.

Unknown said...

A beer without a label should tell you what kind of beer it is. It is from a small brewery here in eastern Wisconsin. The brewery only makes a batch or two a year. The brewmaster takes the time to find only the best ingredients and takes the time to make sure every batch is the best it can be. Not everybody is privileged to get their hands on beer of this quality especially under aged minors!

Anonymous said...

At first I thought, okay, he's making chili. I think I make a pretty mean chili. When I saw your bowl, I'm like -- save me a bowl. i'm on my way!

BTW - Jack's now carries andouille sausage. That was after searching high and low. Should've known to go there first.

Unknown said...

Jack's didn't carry it a couple of years ago. We called most of the major meat markets between Midland and Mt. Pleasant and the only place that had it at that time was LaLond's on Jefferson Ave in Midland. I didn't really care for LaLonds version. One thing I have learned from buying andouille sausage is it is different every where you go. We used to buy it from a store in Virgina called Harris Teeter that was pretty good. Whole Foods had it too. The best I have come across is right here in Wisconsin from a meat market called Mesfields. I always have some in the freezer just in case I need it for something.