Sunday, November 9, 2008

Welcome to the Party

I didn't do my college football predictions this week because after I posted my Sunday Dinner Episode on Friday night I really didn't feel like writing another post on Saturday. If I had I would have picked Michigan to loose, MSU to win and to be honest I wasn't really sure who I would have picked between ND and Boston College. But guess what? We still have time to predict the Lions game today.

Jacksonville Jags vs. the Detroit Lions

First of all let's welcome to the party the Lions newest quarterback Daunte Culpepper. I'm not sure this is a wise decision for either party. Daunte has not been in football for the last year and a half because of a severe knee injury a couple of years ago. With the problems of the Detroit Lions offensive line, and if you watch them you know they are really offensive, Daunte will have to run for his life. Just one problem he can't run. I suspect his game life with the Lions will only last a couple of games before he gets hurt and spends the rest of the year on injured reserve with Kitna and Orlovsky.

On the other hand what are the Lions thinking signing a washed up, has been, never was quarterback? Culpepper's best years were when he had Randy Moss and Cris Carter as wide receivers and all he had to do (or any quarterback with Minnesota at that time) was throw the ball up in the air and either one of them would come down with it. Once Moss and Carter were gone from the Vikings Culpepper turned into one of the worst quarterbacks in he league.

I just don't understand why the Lions would waste money on him. What does this say about their number 2 draft pick, Drew Stanton, two years ago? Is this another Matt Millan wasted draft pick? I say let's get him in there and see what he can do and find out if the Lions need another quarterback. I would use Drew Hanson, their practice team quarterback, before I would use Culpepper. I have a feeling that we will see one if not both of the Drew's before the season is done.

If the Lions hope to win a game this year it has to be today against he Jaguars. The Jags lost against the Bengals last week who were the only other team that hadn't won a game this year. The Jags have some internal problems of their own but I'm not too sure that will prevent them from winning the game today. I think this may be the most boring game in the NFL this season with neither team doing a whole lot of scoring. Jags 17 Lions 9.

MICHIGAN

We must send out another welcome to the Michigan defense for showing up to the party in Minnesota yesterday. All I can say it's about time too. The defense was suppose to be the back bone of the Michigan team this year until the offense got itself on track. Up to this point they have been a big disappointment but yesterday they finally played like they are suppose too. The big difference was they tackled. Meanwhile the offense looks like it is starting to figure out this spread offense. I know they still have a long way to go but there is improvement every week and you can't ask for any more than that. The score to the game, 29-3, was a lot closer than the score should have been. I think the Wolverines could have easily scored 45 points if the offense was running in top gear. Once Coach Rod gets the right quarterback in his system the future will be bright.

Notre Dame

There is nobody to welcome here in fact I think we might want to send out and invitation and invite the Irish offense to the next game. What happened? Ever since the second half of the Pitt game last week the offense has gone into the tank. I predicted a 6-6 finished for the Irish but that was more wishful thinking on my part. I actually thought they would end up with a winning record but now I'm not to sure. They need one more win to become bowl eligible and right now I'm not sure where the win will come from. If they don't make a bowl game will they fire Charlie? If they fire Charlie who will the next coach be? Will it be Brian Kelly one of the masters of the spread offenses? Am I getting ahead of myself? Probably but I like it when the scrutiny is on the other team and not mine.

Michigan State

Didn't watch this game and didn't really care about this game but we must welcome the Spartans to the Big Ten Championship game. Boy that's hard to admit but it looks as though the Spartans and Penn State will be playing for the right to go to the Rose Bowl in a couple of weeks. Boy talk about a screwed up season.

Michigan Tech

Michigan Tech beat Northwood University yesterday 25-13 to finish the season at 8-3. The only thing left for Tech to do is to wait for an invitation to the Division II playoffs. I will keep you posted.

Here is this weeks top 6.

1. Alabama
2. Texas Tech
3. Florida
4. USC
5. Texas
6. Oklahoma

No changes this week but stay tuned I think we may have some changes coming in the next two weeks. It looks like I was right about Penn State they have a good team but they don't deserve to be in the top five and if I did a top 10 it would be close there too. If I have to predict who will end up in the national championship game this year right now I will guess Florida and Texas.

My Heisman is as follows:

1. Gramham Harrel - Texas Tech
2. Colt McCoy - Texas
3. Tim Tebow - Florida

I moved Harrel from Texas Tech ahead of Colt McCoy because he was on national TV last night and he impressed everyone. I still think he is a product of a system and if I was drafting a quarterback for the NFL I will still take Colt McCoy ahead of him.

Be sure to tune in next week when I give some more useless uninformed predictions and opinions.

2 comments:

carriegel said...

i don't think the lions had any other choices. without him there was no backup. i'm not sure i get the reason for rotating the quarterbacks in and out.

stanton had six completions and five sacks. where is his line?
if they are not careful he will be joining the injured list too.

i kind of felt bad about penn state's loss. i will be rooting for them when they play michigan state.

i will be at the nd game this weekend. i am hoping they play better than last week, otherwise it is going to be a long afternoon.

Unknown said...

Stanton looked good when he was able to stay upright.

I will be rooting for Penn State too, I would hate to see MSU in the Rose Bowl.

I think ND plays Navy, if so it will be tough game. Can Navy make it two in a row?