Friday, November 28, 2008

A Turkey Day Disaster and Will the Irsh Start Fighting Again

Who actually watched the disaster yesterday on TV? I'm talking about the Lions vs the Titans. That was one of the worse performances I have ever seen a by a football team. I think the Lions have finally hit bottom at least I hope so. A 0-16 record is a very real possibility after yesterdays performance. I hope the Ford family just blows up the whole organization and starts over what can it hurt now. This franchise is in worse shape than the auto industry right now. Do you think congress might consider a bailout package for the Lions?

Normally I would be against firing a whole coaching staff in the middle of the season but in this case why not? They have almost a week and a half to hire another coach and give him a chance to evaluate the lack of talent the Lions have right now. But before they hire a coach they need to hire a real general manager. There is a good one out there right now and his name is Floyd Reese. Who is Floyd Reese you ask? Well he is the general manager responsible for building the Tennessee Titans football team.

Here is what Wikipedia says about him:

"Floyd Reese is the winningest General Manager in the history of the Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans franchise. He has amassed 111 wins. Only Reese and the highly established Kansas City Chiefs General Manager, Carl Peterson, have accomplished since the institution of the salary cap. Only two active General Managers in the NFL have more wins than Floyd Reese.

From 1999 - 2006, Reese was 3rd in the league in draft choices that remain playing in the NFL and 7th in the NFL in draft choices remaining on the Titans' roster. Since 1997, Reese brought the Titans to one Super Bowl, two AFC Championships, 2 divisional championships, 4 playoff appearances, and a 5-4 playoff record. He also had two 13-3 seasons and four 11+ win seasons. Reese had a league-high 56 wins from 1999-2003."


Not to shabby eh? And guess what else? He was the Lions strength and conditioning coach back in the mid '70s. And guess what else? He wants to come to Detroit and rebuild the team. Here is what he had to say:

“If I had Williams Clay Ford's number, you'd be hearing a dial tone right now. I'm in a unique situation. I've been in the league 32 years. ... I could be in Detroit tomorrow.

“One of the real uncut gems in the NFL is Detroit. It has a great owner. He's got a lot of money. He wants to win very badly, and he's not one of those guys that's on the sidelines. He just wants to find someone that can help him win.”


I know a lot of people bash William Clay Ford and also think he should sell the franchise but I'm not one of them. The only problem I have had with Ford is he is to slow to make changes when they need to be done. The only reason Millen got fired when he did is because the fans finally had enough and yelled loud enough so WCF heard it. He isn't like a lot of other owners in the league trying to get on TV any chance he gets just so he can spew garbage out of his mouth. He has always let the general manager run the team. I know he let Matt Millen have to much power but with the right GM it's the way it has to be done. Owners don't know the players, scouting reports or potential draftees that is the GM job and a good GM like Reese will bring those players to Detroit.

The Lions can be rebuilt within a year or two with smart drafting and signing of free agents. This year the Lions have a whole slew a draft picks and if use wisely they can get back to respectability.

The only college football anybody cares about that is playing this weekend is Notre Dame. Thank goodness Michigan was put out of their misery last weekend and all Michigan State has to do is wait to see what bowl they get embarrassed in this year.

Notre Dame will go to a bowl game win or loose this weekend because even at 6-6 let's face it they're still Notre Dame and the football gods want them on TV. I have had some thoughts if Notre Dame should except an invitation to a bowl game with the season they had this year and I finally decided they would be foolish to turn down a bowl invitation no matter where it is or who they are playing. By playing a bowl game you essentially get one more month of practice and what football team can't use another month of practice. It helps a team tremendously especially a young team like Notre Dame.

This week ND has the unenviable task of going out to southern California and playing the Trojans of USC. The Trojans are ranked number 5 in the country and if not for the uninspired game they played against Oregon State would still be undefeated and headed for the national championship game. It looks at though all the chips are stacked against ND this week but like Lee Corso says "Not so fast my friend." I know ND has played uninspired the last two weeks if not three, I know they haven't lived up to their potential yet this year, and I know ND hasn't fared so well for the last couple of years against USC but, and I mean but Notre Dame is due. They are due for that one big game, the one that shocks everybody because they haven't had one for at least a couple of years. With all the talk about Charlie possibly loosing his job at the end of the year I think the players will respond.

If I was Charlie I would bring in the master motivator himself, Lou Holtz, to give the pregame speech. Did anyone else notice who was in the locker room before the Michigan game when Notre Dame came out with all their guns blazing? That's right Lou Holtz and I bet he gave the team the pregame speech. Swallow your pride Charlie and bring him in your job may depend on it.

I really think this game will be closer than a lot of people think I wouldn't be surprised if the Irish pull the upset. If this game was at ND I would pick them but it's in southern California so I have to go with USC 32 ND 23. And ND will go to a bowl game and Charlie will keep his job for one more year but that will be his last chance.

USC used to be my second favorite college team years ago but anymore I have grown to hate them. This might actually be the first time I openly root for ND. I must be going insane. HELP!!

9 comments:

carriegel said...

i almost fell off my chair. you are rooting for nd? i believe that charlie will get one more year despite what the talking heads are saying. that is the nd way, with the exception of willingham.

you may be on to something with an upset. remember nd was favored by 30 over syracuse. anything can happen and that is why they play the game.

as far as the lions. i like your pick for coach. i can't believe anyone would want the job but if ford has his wits about him, he should sign him up before he changes his mind.

jporterGOP said...

i despise Pete Carroll, otherwise i wouldn't mind USC. let's go Notre Dame!

Unknown said...

Choosing ND is the lesser of two evils in this game. There is something about Pete Carroll and USC I can't stand anymore. I think I am feeling sorry for ND after the last two weeks and I really think they are better than they played the last 3 to 4 weeks. In the end maybe if they played to a 0-0 tie I would be happier.

megawatt miler said...

i cant stand usc either and i dont even want to watch tonight.

Unknown said...

Not pretty at halftime USC 24 ND 0. USC is too fast and they have to many athletes.

jporterGOP said...

i thought ND's defense played pretty well, if their offense had stayed on the field a while, maybe SC wouldn't have scored so many points

Unknown said...

I thought the defense played good too.

I hope they don't fire Charlie because if they do and they hire someone like Brian Kelly ND will start to win again. As long as Charlie is there Michigan will beat them most years.

carriegel said...

i thought the defensse played well too, the offense is another story.

i would rather have charlie than rich r.

Unknown said...

You'll think different in 2 to 3 years when Michigan's back on top.