Thursday, March 6, 2008

Food Review: Potbelly Sandwich Works

We all got to eat and my plan tonight was to stay in tonight and finish up eating the odds and ends I have laying around my room. But after reading my sister's comments regarding last night review for some reason I thought about Potbelly Sandwich Works. If you are like me once you get a thought in your head regarding food you have to satisfy it.


Once again when we were living in Arlington every now and then we would wonder into downtown Washington DC either to walk around or find a place to eat. I always noticed the Potbelly Sandwich Works building because I liked the way the building looks and the signage they use to advertise their stores. It was another one of those places I had always meant to go to but never quite made it there. Last night on my way to Five Guys I passed a Potbelly Sandwich Works here in Madison just a 5 minute walk from my room. So like mentioned above once I get that thought in my mind I might as well pick up the phone and order me something.

My choice tonight was a Italian sandwich with various Italian meats and provolone cheese. I also ordered it with tomatoes, mayonnaise, onions and hot peppers. I also picked up a side of macaroni salad. I phoned in the order and told them I would be there in about 5 minutes. When I got there the sandwich was ready, they bagged it up and I went back to my room for my feast.

I started with the macaroni salad. Nothing to write home about here. Next the sandwich. It is a toasted sandwich which I like better than cold sandwiches. It is a good sandwich, not great but good. Nice crunch on the toasted bun, inside was warm, good taste with the hot peppers. My biggest complaint would be the sandwich could have been a little bigger.

All in all I would give it a 3.5 forks out of 5. I would go there again but I don't think I would go out of my way to go again. Price wise it was very reasonable. I paid around $5.50 for both the sandwich and macaroni salad. You will want to remember this particular store is located among a college campus and prices may be slightly higher away from a college campus.

If you are out and about and you happen to go by a Potbelly Sandwich Works when you are hungry don't be afraid to go inside and try one of their sandwiches.

8 comments:

carriegel said...

when are you going to review primanti brothers? i want to hear your take on that sandwich.

carriegel said...

hey guess who sarah ran into at the southbend airport tonight? charlie weiss. she told him some sob story of all the abuse she takes at work because she works with michigan and ohio state fans. he signed a piece of her engineering paper (she even took her homework with her to florida) with "go irish" and his autograph. she plans on putting it up in her office at work. needless to say she was quite excited about the whole thing.

mickey said...

There's a Potbelly in Chinatown in DC.

I loved it. A lot.

When I was there for school my junior year, we couldn't find anywhere to eat lunch, and finally decided to risk Potbelly, and overall, we all really liked it.

Unknown said...

I was thinking about Primanti Brothers last night and possibly doing one on their sandwich. The only problem is it has been awhile and after the sandwich I had at the Pirate's game I am not sure I could give them the full rating they deserve.

It is alright to run into Charlie Weiss in the airport I just don't think I would get on the same plane. It is unnatural for that much steel to be in the air and when you add him to the plane I am not sure how safe it would be.

The Potbelly you are talking about Mickey in downtown DC is probably the one we always walked by. The one in the picture on the post is another one in DC somewhere, the one that is downtown has much better awnings on it and the windows are a lot better decorated.

jporterGOP said...

I think we almost stopped that that place in DC about 3 times. But I'm sure it doesn't compare with the Promanti sandwich I had, let alone one out of the real restaurant.

Unknown said...

Ah, no it doesn't compare to Primanti Bros. Since it has been brought up again I will do a review within the week.

jporterGOP said...

Oh and back to the Charlie Weiss thing, isn't it hard not to run into him. I mean it seems like he'd take up the whole terminal really.

jporterGOP said...

oh, and it's probably safe to fly in a plane with Charlie Weiss, as long as Michael Moore is on the other side to balance things out