Saturday, March 8, 2008

I Couldn't Wait Any Longer

It didn't matter to me there was still 2 feet of snow on the ground. I also didn't care if the temperature was only 20 degrees. And as for the ice in the driveway, I ignored it. I just couldn't wait any longer, it was time, time to get the barbecue grill out.

Just in case nobody knows I like to cook, it has been one of my hobbies for the last 4 years or more. I really enjoy the barbecue grill and especially the smoker side of the grill. I don't consider myself a master yet buy I can do alright for myself. Every grille has its own personality and you have to learn all the nuances of that particular grill. Mine is no different but I think I have most of them figured out now. To understand how much we like to grill out all you have to do is count the number of empty charcoal bags we accumulate during a summer. Two summers ago I estimated we went through about 140 to 150 pounds of charcoal. Last fall alone once I was reunited with my grill we went through about 30 pounds of charcoal.

Today as we were doing our normal Saturday shopping we were trying to decide what we were going to eat tonight. Normally I have the week all figured out but today was different because for most of the morning I was working for my old employers in Virgina. While we were in the store I thought of gumbo. I hadn't made gumbo for awhile and thought maybe it was time. The great thing about gumbo is there is a thousand different ways to make it and most are good. The hardest part with gumbo is getting the roux right. Once you can make roux the rest is easy. (Someday I will share with you an easy way to make roux if you are interested in roux and gumbo.)But something happened between getting everything I needed for gumbo and the cash register. My brain locked onto steak, not just steak but grilled steak. And like I have explained before once I start craving something I might as well get it over with and do it because I won't get it out of my head until I eat it.

I asked the wife "What time does Meisfields close?"

Her answer: "3:00, why?"

Me: "Because I am hungry, hungry for steak on the grille. Let's make sure we get there before they close."

We got what we needed from the grocery store and headed on over to Meisfields. (By the way I did get everything I needed for gumbo. I am going to make it next weekend.)

I should explain Meisfields. It is a local meat market where we go to buy most of our meat and poultry products. The local grocery stores around here have about the same quality meat and selection as the Coleman Supermarket. Meisfields is a Wisconsin landmark known for their homemade sausage and meat case. They have a large selection and it always looks good. If you don't see what you want ask, there is a good chance they will get it for you from the back of the store. When compared to the local grocery stores for selection, well there is no comparisons.

Our normal choice for steak is a ribeye with the bone in it. By the time we got to Meisfields most of the meat had already been picked over but like I said before if you don't see what you want just ask. We grabbed a number and waited for our number to be called. When they called our number we asked for the ribeye steaks but asked if they could cut them a little thicker then what was on display. He asked "How thick?" And I explained I would like them about 1-1/2" thick. He said "No problem just wait here." He brought them out and handed them to us and then we picked up a few more items, checked out and were on our merrily way home.

I know what everybody is probably thinking. "1-1/2" thick, holy cow!" My theory is since we don't get to eat steak very often when we do we make it worth while. Besides it is easier to cook a thicker steak than a thinner one. It is much harder to overcook.

Around 4:30 the wife says to me "I'm hungry, when we goin' eat?" Now I know I am not real good at hints but I have learned when she says this I should get my ass up and get dinner on the table. Out I went to fire up the grill. Now when I say "fire up the grill" I don't mean go outside and hit some igniter, wait for the gas to flow and the grill to get hot so I can cook. Nope. I have to load up the newspaper into the chimney starter, a little vegetable oil, light it and wait 1/2 and hour for good hot coals. So far I have refuse to use a gas grill because I believe the flavor is just that much better from a charcoal grill. The only way to get better than charcoal is to actually cook over wood. If you have never tried this I would recommend it. It can be frustrating but once you have it mastered there is nothing better.

While I waited for the charcoal to get hot I went inside to prepare the steaks for cooking. Here is where the true secret to cooking good steak lies. I don't care if you cook on a gas grille, charcoal, on the stove or in the oven, here is the secret, listen close, one hour before you are ready to cook you steak (or any other meat for that matter) get it out of the refrigerator and let it come up to room temperature before you attempt to cook it. Why? Because if you start with an internal temperature of 70 degrees instead of 35 degrees you can get the internal temperature of the meat to the temperature you want to eat it at quicker and there is a lot less chance of burning the outside to a crisp to do it. Pretty simple eh? It took me a while to learn this. Sorry got sidetracked. All I do to prepare steak to cook is rub some oil on the outside (I normally use conola oil but you can use anything or nothing at all)and salt and pepper. Don't skimp on the salt and pepper either. If you are like me you don't use very much salt in your everyday cooking but believe me this is one place you don't want to skimp on the salt. Don't use table salt either, use either kosher or sea salt.

Once the coals are hot and the steaks are ready the fun starts. Slap those steaks on the hot grill and just watch. That is all just watch (unless the fire gets out of control and in that case you need to get the fire back under control.) Let a minute go by, now pick up the steaks and rotate them 90 degrees (this is how you get those cool cross hatching marks on a steak) and place them back down. Watch again. After another minute or so turn them over and repeat. This is where the second most important part of cooking a steak comes in, use a meat thermometer. I have cooked a lot of steaks and I still can not tell when a steak is rare, medium or well done. A meat thermometer is your best friend. You will get a steak, or any other type of meat you are cooking, done perfectly for your taste or more importantly your companies taste. Personally I like my steak at 133 degrees, the wife likes hers at 145 degrees. Mine comes out medium rare hers more like medium.

When the steaks are done to your satisfaction take them off the grill and cover them with tin foil. DO NOT cut into them to see how done they are after all that is why you have a meat thermometer. Let them set for a minimum of 5 minutes. This will let the juices redistribute in the steak.

I normally will just eat a tossed salad with my steak while the wife likes a baked potato with hers.

The steak we ate tonight was just what the doctor ordered. Nice and juicy, tender and flavorful. They had that wonderful charcoal taste you can only get by cooking on charcoal, just what I was craving.

Now I can't wait for tomorrow, baby back ribs finished off on the grill. I will let you know how they turn out.

7 comments:

jporterGOP said...

I think I got lost, I thought this was a blog...not a Food Network Forum.

But really, I'm very jealous. I'm surviving on overcooked cardboard over here unless I cook.

Unknown said...

Get use to it. Right now it is my main hobby.

By the way how did the cardboard come out?

jporterGOP said...

I actually whipped up some pork chops tonight and made a beer and onion glaze to go with them.

Quite tasty really.

And no recipe peeking, did it all from scratch.

Unknown said...

Beer glaze? How old are you?

Unknown said...

Ok, peej got me thinking. I am going to let everybody in on my favorite pork chop glaze.

One large onion cut up into slices. Throw into a frying pan (preferably cast iron)with a couple of tablespoons of EVOO.

Cook these for a few minutes until they start to turn translucent. Now the good part. Dump in 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar and 1/4 cup of honey. Cook down until thick and dump over top of pork chops or for that matter anything else you want to use it on.

This will make cardboard taste good.

jporterGOP said...

EVOO? Are you Rachel Ray?

Lord help us.

Unknown said...

Better than spelling it out.