Sunday, March 16, 2008

Introducing John Cephas and Phil Wiggins



Last summer while we were living in Arlington Virginia we went over the the Smithsonian Folk Festival that is held there every year. It features three different parts of the world, Ireland, Virginia and some far east country that I can't remember. Obviously we spent most of our time in the Virginia area. There are all sorts of displays featuring the history of Virginia. One of the items they feature is music, all kinds of music that came from Virginia. As we were walking through the festival we could here the music coming from one of the tents. It was a guitar and a harmonica playing with one guy singing. It was John Cephas and Phil Wiggins. We walked into the tent to listen and unfortunately for us it was the last song they would play in that session. We went to see when the next time they were playing and all we would have to wait is 2 hours. If you have ever been to the National Mall when the folk festival is there it is not hard to kill two hours.

When the time came we found some empty seats and waited for the music (did I forget to mention this is all free). John Cephas and Phil Wiggins did not disappoint us. They were great. It is hard to believe so much music can come out of a guitar and harmonica. I believe it is Phil Wiggins on the harmonica and he is fantastic. It is amazing what he can do with that thing. If you watch the last video you will see what I mean.

If you listened to the above video you know by now they play the blues. I love the blues, especially this type of blues. This is where rock and roll's roots are. Without the blues rock and roll would never had started. There are many rock bands that are heavily influenced by the blues, Bon Jovi, Ted Nugent, Guns 'n Roses, Led Zeppelin, most southern rock bands, etc. If you watch and listen to my latest classic rock song, Blue on Black by Kenny Wayne Shepherd, it is a classic blues song.

If I ever get back to DC during the folk festival you can bet I will go watch Cephas and Wiggins again. If you ever get a chance to watch them, even if you have to go out of your way to do so, go you will enjoy it. It will be worth it.



By the way these videos were taken at the 2007 Folk Festival we were at. I am not sure if it was the same performance we saw but they are wearing the same clothes in performance we saw.



Isn't that guy great? I could listen to him for hours.

4 comments:

megawatt miler said...

http://megawattmiler.blogspot.com/

carriegel said...

Dave and I have a blues singer that we follow called Stacy Mitchhart. We will be seeing him in Cleveland next month. We have gone as far as flying to Nashville to see him. He plays at the Bourbin Street Blues and Bougie Bar. If you knew Carrie Underwood I would tell you that her video Before He Cheats was filmed in the street outside of that bar. But since you don't seem to know of her I won't tell you that little piece of information.
When the time gets closer I will look and see if I can find some of his music to post on my blog.

Unknown said...

I have heard of Carrie Underwear, I think she dated Tony Romo from the Dallas Cowboys.

megawatt miler said...

you did just tell him that piece of information mom!

and she did date tony romo before jessica