Saturday, March 15, 2008

It's Gumbo Time!

As I mentioned last week I was going to make gumbo this weekend. I don't know who out there has ever made gumbo but there is 1000 different ways to make it. I have made gumbo several times before and I don't think I have ever made it the same way twice.

The real secret to gumbo making (so Emeril says on Food Network) is in the roux. For anyone who doesn't know what roux is it is equal amounts of oil and flour cooked until you get whatever color or type of roux you are looking for. With gumbo it is cooked until is is a peanut butter color. Normally roux is cooked on the stove by heating it over medium low to medium heat and stirring for 20-25 minutes with a wooden spoon. You have to be very careful not to burn it, that is why the constant stirring. And yes I have burnt it and had to start over. Since I have started making gumbo I have learned a much simpler way to make the roux. I am sure the Cajun people wouldn't approve of it but like I said it is much easier.

I learned of this method by watching Alton Brown's Good Eats. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Take equal amounts of oil and flour (I start with 3/4 of a cup of each) and whisk them together in a dutch oven (use cast iron if you have it.) Now just slip into the oven and stir every 1/2 hour. Cook for a total of 1-1/2 hours. Simple. Foolproof. And I have never had to start over or listen to a kid complain because his arm is getting tired. Oh did I forget to mention that I had someone else stir the roux? Probably explains why it was burnt, eh?

Once the roux is done put it back on the stove top under medium heat and throw in the trinity (that is onions, celery and green peppers (although I prefer red peppers) for all you cooking illiterates.) Cook for a few minutes, toss in some garlic, bay leaves, and either cayenne red pepper or chipote pepper. Careful with the red pepper folks, it can ruin a good gumbo fast. A little bit goes a long way. Cook for a few more minutes.

Add the stock now. You can use any type of stock you want. I have used turkey, chicken and shrimp. Tonight I chose shrimp because, well, I had the shrimp shells and I felt like making shrimp stock for my gumbo. To make shrimp stock save your shrimp shells in the freezer and when you are ready to make shrimp stock start with two quarts of water and throw in the shrimp shells. Cook for about a hour and there you have it, simple shrimp stock.

After the stock gets incorporated with the roux and trinity it is time to throw in whatever you want for your gumbo. As they say "The sky is the limit." You can use sausage, ham, turkey, smoked turkey legs, chicken, shrimp, okra, scallops, etc. I think you get the idea. Oh, you can use a combination of items too. I normally will use a combination of items, sometimes two items, sometimes three. Tonight's choice was andouille sausage, smoke flavored apple ham, and shrimp. The shrimp only goes in for the last five minutes of cooking time. Let all this cook on the stove top for a hour (except for the shrimp.}

About a 1/2 hour into cooking time start the rice, don't use that minute rice and you don't need a rice cooker either (sorry for anybody who uses a rice cooker.) I have found out over the years the real secret to cooking good rice is to follow the directions, exactly. I prefer the Jasmine rice but the Balsamic rice is good too. I don't use the brown rice or buckwheat rice(gag, gag, puke puke), I can't stand that stuff.

Once everything is cooked it is time to plate. Fill the bowl with gumbo, sprinkle a little gumbo file' on (this is optional), put a large scoop of rice in the middle of the bowl of gumbo, and sprinkle with the greens of green onions.

Tonights gumbo turned out to one of my better efforts. I have made some duds in my life but not tonight. I think it may be my best effort to date with gumbo. I ate two large bowls and didn't leave room for ice cream. Oh well, ice cream keeps good in the freezer, even (dare I say) Cold Stone Creamery ice cream. Apple Pie a la Mode kind. My favorite.

Tomorrow it is rib time yet again. All the cooking time will be on the smoker this time though. This should be the final stages for that rib cooking contest I hope to enter someday. I have not forgot about sharing how to cook ribs in the oven and as soon as I get the job done I have been working on I will pass it along.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I stood in front of the baby back ribs for quite a while during last weekends grocery outing. I'll keep passing them up until I get your oven recipe. But hurry up with that job already!

Unknown said...

I am almost done.

I will be sending the bbq sauce home with mom next weekend. Make sure you get it.

I just cooked some ribs on the smoker yesterday and they turned out alright. I think they may actually be better cooked in the oven. But I have had more practice cooking them in the oven too.