Thursday, June 19, 2008

A Sarah Inspired Meal

A week or so ago our Irish friend, Megawatt Miler, posted some of her favorite things. One of the items was Paul Newman's Balsamic Vinaigrette. Since balsamic vinegar is my favorite type of vinegar I thought I should give this stuff a try. I know she doesn't know if a switch and light bulb are on the same circuit, I know she doesn't travel well, but I figured she had to know something. After all she did graduate from Notre Dame. So I decided to take a chance and see if this was her time. Guess what? It was. This may be the best vinaigrette I have had so I dedicate this post to her and this meal to her. From here on and evermore this meal and recipe will be called Sarah's Balsamic Pork Chop.

Let's get started.

Act 1 of this episode, here are the cast of characters.
Photobucket

If I was going to use balsamic vinegar as the main character I thought I should marinade the pork chops with it. I use a thicker pork chop (actually easier to cook) but a thinner pork chop could be used. I used about a half a bottle to marinade 2 pork chops. I marinaded the chops for about 4 hours but I think it would be better if they were marinaded overnight. When it is time to cook take the chops out of the refrigerator and remove from the marinade. I then sprinkle them with Emeril's Essence and let them come up to room temperature. This will take about 1/2 hour or about the time it takes to get the grill going.
Photobucket

"FIRE UP THE GRILL"

Photobucket

Stick those chops on the grill and cook with the lid on. Once again if you want to "Run with the Big Dogs" and take the chops to the ultimate level add a little wood to it. My favorite, so far, with pork is apple.

Start with the chops over the fire for the first 2-3 minutes on each side and then move over and cook with indirect heat the rest of the way. Cook the chops to 147 degrees. Like I have said before if the temperature gets above 147 pork will start to dry out fast.
Photobucket

Act 2 of the episode with the cast of characters.
Photobucket

A simple salad made of romaine lettuce with a twist, it's grilled. Start by cutting the head of lettuce in half and leave the end on so it stays together. Next brush a little olive oil on the lettuce and sprinkle with pepper.

Let's head to the grill.
Photobucket

Lightly grill the lettuce just so it warms up a grill marks appear. Take it off the grill, cut off the end and spread it out on a plate. Add some grape or cherry tomatoes (I prefer cherry), maybe sprinkle some parmesan/reggiano cheese on top and hit it with balsamic vinegar.

Introducing Sarah's Balsamic Pork Chop.
Photobucket

I gave it a 4.75 out of 5 forks. I forgot to sprinkle the parmesan/reggiano cheese on the salad. Pork chops are so tender they can be cut with a fork. This may be my new favorite way to cook pork chops. I will defanatly be doing it again.

7 comments:

megawatt miler said...

i am honored-and that sounds really good!

and i wasn't kidding, that stuff is amazing.

carriegel said...

oh man, does that look good. you lost me when you stuck the lettuce on the grill but i have to admit i may be trying it now after seeing the results.

can you come and be my chef?

Unknown said...

ridgThe first time I saw grilled lettuce was with radicchio lettuce I believe on Bobby Flay's show. Since I can't find radicchio lettuce I use romaine instead. I like it and so does the wife. We will certainly be doing it again. The only change I am thinking about making is to grill the tomatoes too.

jporterGOP said...

since when do you cross over and put my music videos up for your classic rock video of the week? :)

i think someone likes my music.

Unknown said...

Not bad it only took you a week to see it.

carriegel said...

would bobby flay be a good grilling book to purchase?

Unknown said...

I'm not sure about Bobby Flay's book because he can be "exotic" and I think it might be hard to find some of his ingredients.

There is a book out there about grilling and I have thought about buying it several times. I will have find it and let you know what it is. If I was buying one it is the one I would probably buy.