Saturday, June 14, 2008

Taking a Long Walk on a Short Pier

The wife and I decided to go to Sheboygan (here is Wisconsin they spell Sheboygan with a S not a C) last night to eat. Sheboygan is about 15-20 miles from where we live on Lake Garton.

Sheboygan is a city with a population of 50,000 or so. That would make it about the size of Saginaw but without all the problems of Saginaw. While people complain about crime in Sheboygan if they took one trip to Saginaw they might see their little town isn't so bad afterall.

Afterwards we took a walk on the boardwalk that follows the Sheboygan River out to Lake Michigan.
Photobucket

At the end of the boardwalk (the Lake Michigan end) is a large park and at the north end of the large park is a pier that goes out into Lake Michigan.
Photobucket

Now I have to ask "Who doesn't like to walk out on a pier into one of the great lakes?" Whenever I see a pier I feel as though I need to take a walk out to the end of it. I love the smell of the great lakes, the sound of water hitting the pier and the sheer expanse of the water.

Photobucket

When I look across the water I always wonder what is going on on the other side. Last night when I looked across the water I thought about Sarah and the nuclear plant she works in. I think if you look to the south (to all you directionally challenge people out there that would be to the right, at least here in Wisconsin) you can see Sarah just leaving work at the plant.

This was a perfect night for a walk out on a pier, sun was shining, slight breeze, just warm enough so you didn't have to wear a jacket, and cool enough so you didn't work up a sweat walking.
Photobucket

Even the ducks were enjoying the night out.
Photobucket

6 comments:

carriegel said...

now i am homesick.

Unknown said...

What? You don't have bodies of water like this in Pittsburgh?

Bummer.

megawatt miler said...

nice pictures!

did you know you guys had a nuke plant up there too? i'm not sure where it is in relation to you, but i know its on lake michigan.

Anonymous said...

how did I end up so far inland? i love water! Great pictures.

Unknown said...

I know there are a couple of nuke plants here but that is about it. I was told where they were but I forget now, old age.

Wisconsin is all about wind power now, someday I am going to get pictures of one the wind farms and post them.

carriegel said...

we have lake erie to the north. not as lake michigan that is for sure.