Sunday, July 13, 2008

Blue Marlin and Pictures

I thought I might show some pictures of last nights meal. I am trying to improve on my photo taking skills with the meals I cook. I am trying to take pictures like the ones you see in the cook books, you know the ones that make you drool when you look at them and say I got to try that. I like to look at the photos in cookbooks because for me it is the photo that sells the recipe.

Here is last nights meal..............
Photobucket
This is blue marlin (blue marlin is fish in case you are drawing a blank) marinated in cranberry walnut vinaigrette along with roasted vegetables and grilled lettuce topped with parmesan/reggianno cheese and of course the same vinaigrette the blue marlin was marinated in.

Why blue marlin? Well, we were walking through the store yesterday and when we went by the fresh fish display it started to call my name. Every now and then this happens to me when I am in the grocery store. When it does I take it as a hint I should buy the item and give it a try, so I do.

Photobucket

Here is a little closer look and a lower angle. What do you think? Does it make you hungry? Does it make you want to try it?

How about this one..............
Photobucket

Is that a better picture? Great grill marks. But I think I know what is wrong, not enough contrast in colors. It was a small head of lettuce so the green of the lettuce got buried under the fish and vegetables. I think I should have used green peppers instead of red too. That would have given a better contrast of colors. Maybe even using a orange or yellow pepper or maybe a combination of all. I know a plate can make a picture too but when this is all you got this is what you use.

Photobucket

But if I saw this picture in a cook book would I say I got to try that? I'm not sure but I can tell you it was very good. Blue Marlin is a white meat fish with a very mild flavor. If you are looking to do fish steaks on the grill and you don't think you like the stronger flavor of tuna give the blue marlin a try. Just be careful because with all meat with very little of no fat it will dry out very quickly if you over cook it.

I should mention the onion used in this meal was a candy onion we bought at the Elk Hart Lake farmers market yesterday. Very mild once grilled and very sweet.

And if you run out and cook blue marlin this week then maybe I have accomplished my goal.

4 comments:

JP said...

Looks delicious. It reminds me of having tuna, it was a big piece of fish, too.

megawatt miler said...

looks good to me-especially the red peppers!

carriegel said...

when i saw the title blue marlins i thought you were talking about the baseball team. silly me.

won't be cooking that anytime soon. not a fan of fish.

your grill marks are perfect.

Unknown said...

You should give this fish a try, no fishy taste what so ever.