Monday, July 14, 2008

Sunday Dinner - July 13, 2008

Ok I waited long enough and it is time to use these items this week....
Photobucket
I got these lovely little items for my half century birthday a couple of weeks ago from my sisters. I was hoping they would forget but they didn't. It didn't help I was with my much older sister the day after my birthday.

Just in case you don't know what these little beauties do they make beer can chicken or for you that don't drink beer soda pop chicken. Believe it or not all the grilling I have done I have never made beer can chicken. I meant to but for some reason or other I have never done it. Well that is all about to change, just follow along.

Here is this weeks cast of supporting characters....
Photobucket

Along with these supporting characters too.....
Photobucket

You may want to know where the star of the show is, well it just took up to much room to include in these pictures. Besides raw chicken around my spices and raw vegetables, I don't think so.

First things first and the spice rub must be mixed up.
Photobucket

This rub includes fresh rosemary, dried thyme, paprika, salt (kosher), fresh ground pepper, and granulated garlic. There could be a couple of other things but I forget what it might be.

Let's get some good ole apple wood soaking....
Photobucket

And now do you know what time it is? That's right "TIME TO FIRE UP THE GRILL!!!!!"
Photobucket

Once the charcoal is ready it is time to put the chicken on the grill.
Photobucket

I should mention inside the chicken roaster is some of my honey wiess homemade beer with a sprig or two of rosemary.

Cook at 350 degrees for about 1-1/2 or the digital thermometer reads 165 degrees when inserted to the thigh bone.
Photobucket

After a half hour or so it is time to put the vegetables on.
Photobucket

The vegetables, except for the red potatoes, have been marinated in antipasta oil. Don't ask me what is in it but it is very good. It also has a bit of a kick to it.

And the cooked meal.....
Photobucket

Mmmm, looks good and for the most part it was. The only problem was the red potatoes. I don't think the Wisconsin farmers and gardeners know how to grow good red potatoes. I even bought these on Saturday at the local farmers market. They are nothing like we used to grow. I am truly disappointed.

Enough about that here is the finished product......
Photobucket

The vegetables were great (other than the potatoes). The chicken, real good. I didn't brine the chicken like I normally would because I wanted to see how moist the beer can chicken was without the brine. The legs and thighs were very moist, the breast was interesting. It started out fine on the outside (not as juicy as a brined chicken) but the closer I ate towards the interior the juicier the meat got and the more I could taste the rosemary that I had put into the beer. Very, very good once I got to the bone. I think little sister might have the right way to cook this chicken though and that is to brine it first and then cook it as beer can chicken.

That is what I will be doing next time, oh yeah there will be a next time it is worth that. I just need to find some better red potatoes.

There you have it Sunday dinner, July 13, 2008.

Next week we will be looking into using these somehow....
Photobucket

Got any ideas?

7 comments:

megawatt miler said...

yuuum

carriegel said...

i plan on making beer can chicken this weekend.

amd maybe pioneer woman's corn casserole. now that is good!

Unknown said...

I have a grilled corn salad I will be making sometime in the near future. I have been looking for recipes to use with grilled corn.

I will have to check out her casserole. I am always looking for good casseroles to make during the winter.

carriegel said...

you wont' be disappointed but you really need fresh corn to take it over the top.

Anonymous said...

You need me to send you some good MI potatoes? Tomorrow's my day for the Farmer's Market here.

carriegel said...

i brought some back from mi which we will be having this weekend.

Unknown said...

I'm still looking I figure I have to stumble into some good ones somewhere in this state.