Monday, July 7, 2008

Sunday Dinner - July 6, 2008

Yeah I know I have been slacking lately with my Sunday dinners. What can I say I haven't been home. But this week I did stay home and as promised a new Sunday dinner just as will be every Sunday this summer when I am home.

This weeks Sunday dinner.....Roasted Turkey Breast cooked on the grille (like I would cook it anywhere else during the summer.)
Photobucket

I was a little worried cooking a turkey breast on the grille because of how easy it is to dry out a turkey breast. There is a fine line between moist cooked turkey and dried out turkey that turns out like old shoe leather. That is why a digital thermometer is a must for me.

First the cast of characters......
Photobucket

I should mention I brined the turkey breast first. If you are new to the blog and want to know how to brine the turkey breast go look at my barbecue chicken post, exact same way.

I should also note that above picture isn't the complete cast of characters. Sometimes I get a real brain fart halfway through preparing a meal and change my mind on ingredients. Hey like I said before sometimes I am doing this on the fly. Inside the stuffed bird is apples, red onions, rosemary, cinnamon stick, mushrooms and spinach. The red onion, rosemary, apple and cinnamon stick are first put into water and cooked in the microwave for 5 minutes before they go into the turkey breast.

Now sprinkle an old favorite of mine all over the breast
Photobucket
Emeril's Essence with 1/4 of the salt of real Emeril's Essence.

Now it is time to "FIRE UP THE GRILLE!!!!!!"

350 degrees for about 1-1/2 to 2 hours with some apple wood chips that have been soaked in water or until the digital thermometer reads 165 to 168 degrees and this is what you are left with......
Photobucket
Tender, moist turkey breast. Just make sure you take out the cinnamon stick and rosemary branches or you will break a tooth when you bite into them.

And anybody who took the time to visit the younger sister's blog last weekend will recognized these.......
Photobucket
Yes it is her potatoes cooked on the grille. Just needed a grille basket to put them in, which I just happen to own, and a hot grille. I also put a little apple wood in when I cooked them and all I can say is "WOW!" If you haven't tried these delicious little buggers yet I suggest you give them a try you won't be disappointed. The only way to improve these will be to use fresh red potatoes and maybe add a little cheese on top when they go on the grille. I did sprinkle a little Parmesan/regginano cheese on top after they came off the grille.

Want a closer look? Here you go.....
Photobucket
Don't they look good enough to eat? I think the only thing I may try different next time is to roast them on the grille with a little garlic before mashing them down and finish cooking them on the grille.

The total finished package looks something like this...
Photobucket

The final rating? How about a 4.5 out of 5 forks. I cooked the turkey a little long (170 degrees internal temperature) and I could tell it was starting to dry out. The next time 165 to 168 and it should be perfect. And next time I will try to find better red potatoes, hard to do here in Wisconsin though.

There you have it, July 6, 2008, Sunday dinner.

Oh by the way I haven't forgot about this.....
Photobucket
This will be in an upcoming episode of Sunday Dinners. Stay tuned.

3 comments:

JP said...

I should have lived with you this summer.

Anonymous said...

Looks like another great meal. I'm definitely trying a turkey breast next.

carriegel said...

can't wait for the next installment.