Monday, July 21, 2008

Sunday Dinner - 20 July 2008

I am a little embarrassed to be posting my Sunday dinner this week because I have tried to only do grilled dinners this summer. Even though this dinner started out on the grill it was only there for 8 minutes and in the oven for 4 hours. Oh sure I could have cooked it in the grill for the 4 hours but I just wasn't in the mood for tending the coals for that length of time. And with it being braised in a dutch oven for the full 4 hours I just couldn't see the advantage of burning all the charcoal required or fighting with the coals to keep the grill at 300 degrees.

What did I cook this week? How about beef brisket.
Photobucket

I know a true Texan would smoke this brisket for hours and turn it into bbq but that wasn't what I was after. I had a recipe from my new grilling cook book I wanted to try. As you will see it turned into more of a roast by the end.

Start out with a rub consisting of garlic salt, pepper, dill weed, and granulated onion. Then let set in the refrigerator for 4 hours.

Time to "FIRE UP THE GRILL" and brown on both sides.
Photobucket

Oh don't forget to always grill with the lid on....
Photobucket

Now it is time to get out that old friend I haven't seen since winter, the dutch oven.
Photobucket

Slip that browned brisket in there and some braising liquid. My choice for braising liquid this week.....
Photobucket
A combination of Jack Danial's and beef broth. Yes Jack Danial's. I hate JD. The last time I drank it was when I was a freshman in college. After that I swore it off forever....and no I didn't get sick on it. I just can't stand the taste of it but I thought I would follow the recipe so I bought some. As you can see it was the smallest bottle I could find.

Anyway 2 hours in the braising liquid and then add the potatoes on the bottom and onions and carrots on top and cook for anther 2 hours.

This is what you're left with.....
Photobucket

I will give it a 2.5 out of 5 forks because this isn't a summertime grilling meal. This should be a comfort meal for the winter time. If I was rating it for the winter time I would give it a 4.25 out of 5 forks. The beef brisket came out so tender it could be cut with a fork. It also had a different taste to it, a hint of Jack Danial's, not bad either. Definitely a keeper for the winter time.

But just to redeem myself look what I made tonight.....
Photobucket

Oh yeah bbq chicken with the chicken marinated in beer and several other items. And totally cooked on the grill. How about 5 out of 5 forks good.

5 comments:

megawatt miler said...

im impressed, as always

jporterGOP said...

i'm not...

Anonymous said...

I am too. Even the "put the lid on it" picture" had my mouth watering in anticipation of seeing the final outcome. And can never go wrong with BBQ chicken, my personal favorite.

carriegel said...

i'm impressed too. will be doing a review of our beer can chicken tomorrow.

Unknown said...

The beer can chicken props go to little sister. But trust me it's pretty darn good.