Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Long Days of Summer

There really hasn't been much happening around here lately except for experimenting with new meals from one of my new cookbooks. The cookbook is loaded with ideas for grilling and what I like is almost all the recipes use ingredients that are easy to find in your local grocery store, unless you live somewhere near Pittsburgh. Todays choice from the cookbook is Roasted Corn with Andouille Sausage.
Photobucket

Start by roasting some corn on the grill.......
Photobucket

Meanwhile throw some andouille sausage in a pan with some olive oil......
Photobucket

While all this is going on crack open a beer. How about a Lienie's Summer Shandy flavored with lemonade, a good choice for grill cooking in the summer.
Photobucket

Now after the important part of cooking is taken care of, the beer, it is time to start dropping the rest of the ingredients into the pan.
Photobucket

A little onion, yellow pepper, red pepper, and garlic. Let this cook for awhile and then add chopped tomatoes, basil, chicken broth, and white wine vinegar. The last item to take care of is to cut the corn off the cob and add the roasted corn to the rest of the mixture.
Photobucket

You are supposed to use arugula salad greens but since our grocery store didn't have arugula I opted for the spinach.

Photobucket

Pretty good and something a little different for a change. The wife and I decided it is a recipe worth keeping.

Post Overtime
Here is the recipe, I hope you can read it. This would be easy to adapt to winter time use too by using frozen corn instead of grilled corn. If you have trouble finding good tomatoes in the winter I would go for the diced canned tomatoes and drain them good. There I just gave out a great dinner idea that can be made easily in under 30 minutes.

Enjoy.
Photobucket

I should also mention if this is the only item on the dinner menu for the night the ingredients list works out perfectly for two people.

5 comments:

carriegel said...

i need that recipe. please.

Unknown said...

Email me your address and I will send you others. Just too many to list here.

megawatt miler said...

that looks really good AND it has basil (those are my two qualifications right now)-can i have the recipe too please?

Unknown said...

Recipe is at the bottom of the post now.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to try that one too!