Monday, April 21, 2008

Grilled Pizza

I was thinking maybe I should change my blog title to Chillin' and Grillin' it seems lately all I have been posting is food I have grilled or barbecued. We use our grill or smoker 4-5 times a week. I was looking at empty charcoal bags and we have already used more than 80 pounds of charcoal this spring and it isn't even Memorial Day yet, the kick-off weekend to the grilling season. If I die of cancer some day the coroner won't have to look any farther than the bbq grill to see what caused it.

Tonights feast was pizza made on the Weber.
Photobucket
What makes tonights pizza different than what I would normally make is the crust. Yesterday I actually made the dough from scratch with my own two hands. This is a close to baking as I ever get. I have made pizza dough before but lately I have been buying the pizza crust. The store bought pizza crust is alright but I always think I can do better. Whether that is true or not remains to be seen.

As you can see from the picture above I use a pizza stone when I cook pizza. Since I have had it I think it is a must to get the crust cooked right. (By the way thanks mom for the Christmas present). When using a pizza stone I suggest following the instructions for use because if you don't disaster will strike. If you notice mine doesn't look like it has been cleaned for awhile. That is because it hasn't. All that is required for cleaning is scraping with a spatchula and wiping off with a clean dry towel. Pizza stones will absorb anything they come in contact with including dish soap. The instructions say you will end up with dark spots on the stone but don't worry about it, so I don't.
Photobucket
I will give the pizza 3 out of 5 forks because the crust didn't turn out the way I like. I like a thicker, chewier crust and this one was more suitable for a thin crust pizza. The overall taste of the pizza was good though, maybe as good as I have made. I will go back to the kitchen and work on the crust and see if I can improve it some.

4 comments:

megawatt miler said...

pizza looks good!

I would like your asparagas and salmon recipe from yesterday please-it looked fantastic and I definitely need to try it.

Unknown said...

Because of the length of the recipes I will post it tomorrow night. It is a simple meal and would easily qualify as a 30 minute meal.

carriegel said...

we had pizza tonight. dave picked it up on his way home. i think that would qualify as a thiry minute meal.

i will skip the salmon but i want the asparagus recipe too.

Unknown said...

My pizza isn't has good as some you can buy but it is better than frozen.

The problem I have with some pizza you bring home is the grease that ends up on top of the pizza from the cheese and pepperoni they use. When you make your own you can control these things.