Sunday, April 13, 2008

Something Different

I was looking for something different to cook on the grill this weekend so for ideas I looked at the Meisfield's sale flyer. Right in the middle of their sale items was a beef shoulder roast I thought I might give a try. I should have done some Internet research before I did so I would have an idea on how to cook it on a grill. I didn't know when I decided to look up how to cook a beef roast on the Internet today there would be so little information. There is a lot of information for cooking standing rib roast but not regular shoulder roast.

After a lot of searching I decided to make up a rub and put on it and start off by slow cooking it on the grill with a couple of chunks of mesquite wood for the smokey flavor. I did this for the first 1-1/2 hours or so and then I put the roast into a pan with beef broth, carrots and onions. I cooked the potatoes in a separate pouch with a little butter and onions. I let the roast cook for an additional 1 hour on the grill with a cover on it.

I removed the roast a let it rest for awhile while I finished cooking the potatoes. The potatoes were red potatoes I had cut in half before I put them in the aluminum foil. Once the potatoes are cooked through I put them cut side down on the grill to finish them. I am not sure what happens when potatoes are cooked like this but they seem to get a sweet flavor to them. I think the heat draws the sugar out of the potatoes and intensifies the flavor. I have seen this on Bobby Flay's show but had never tried it until recently. This is a good way to cook potatoes, different flavor altogether.


Sorry about the quality of the picture but something has gone wrong with my camera. I need to find the instruction book and see if I can fix it.

The beef roast turned out ok but I think I will find another way to cook it next time. The carrots were real good, I think they may have been the best part of the meal.

3 comments:

carriegel said...

That is a lot of meat. I think ribs are more my style.

Unknown said...

It is to make sandwiches with all week and just possibly a hot beef sandwich for dinner one night. It is cheaper to buy a roast like this than to buy lunch meat, it is less than 1/2 the cost per pound than lunch meat.

megawatt miler said...

yeah but lunch meat is already cooked...