Tuesday, April 8, 2008

"Honey, can you see what is in the mailbox?"

That is the first thing the wife said to me when she got home yesterday from work. My response was "Huh?"

"Can you see what is in the mailbox? I am afraid to stick my hand in there. There is something in there and I don't know what it is."

"Oh, but it is alright for me to stick my hand in there and possibly loose a few fingers?"

"Yeah. Go look please?"

So I put my shoes back on and trudge out to the mailbox to see what she is talking about. I was expecting a small animal or something like that so when I get out there I slowly open the mailbox to see what it is. So far a good start because nothing jumps out at me. I bent over to look inside and way in the back is a dark brown object, it looks like a bees nest has been built back there. Now I know it is a little early for bees to be out building nest especially as cold as it has been and big as this one looked already. I grabbed a piece of mail and slowly poked at it to see exactly what it was. Now that is strange, a bees nest built in cold weather with a postage stamp on it. It was hard so I knew the bees nest was now ruled out plus the postage stamp kind of gave it away.

My next thought was some kid put this object in there for a practical joke so I should be careful in case it explodes or something. After rolling it around a couple of times I figured it was safe so I reached in and pulled it out. The first thing I see on it is some writing "From the coast of somewhere beautiful." I was thinking to myself "That is strange somebody sent me something from Lake Superior" after all that is the most beautiful coast I have ever seen. Once again why would anybody be vacationing on the coast of Lake Superior this time of year, but if bees can build bees nest when it is this cold outside maybe somebody would vacation on the Lake Superior coast this time of year too.

Of course I knew who sent it as soon as I read the address part. I think it came from the same place as this post card came from.

(I want to set the record straight right now, we do not have that much snow in Wisconsin at this time, most of it is gone.)

I am not really sure what it is but I figured Katie picked it up somewhere and the sisters thought it might be funny to mail it to me. I had thoughts about breaking it open but I was not sure I was suppose to after all maybe it has some curse to it. It is light and it doesn't rattle. Any hints? Does anyone know what it is? I would try to google it but I don't know where I would start.

What I think is funny is they paid $4.60 to mail me something Katie picked up out the the woods somewhere.

8 comments:

megawatt miler said...

ill give you a hint-its edible and i got one too! i also took pictures b/c it ended up in the rocks outside my house and blended in and im amazed i ever saw it. you beat me to posting them, but hopefully i will get back to that later this week.

carriegel said...

haha We have gotten more than our money's worth with this.

Here's a hint to what it is. Look at the post card a little closer.

Anonymous said...

Your mailbox is huge if that thing could roll around in it! I'm impressed.

Anonymous said...

PS -- You're going about this all wrong. Maybe you can't google the brown object but one could google brown objects that get mailed from coasts somewhere beautiful. Your sisters can make it their life's endeavor to inspect all coastlines to see if your Lake Superior is indeed that -- superior!

jporterGOP said...

it looks like a misshapen coconut

Unknown said...

I am surprised by how light it is, that is what through me off. I would have suspected that coconuts would be a lot heavier. I would have also thought that when you shake them you would hear the coconut milk sloshing around inside of it. Is there any milk in it or does it dry up after it has been picked?

JP said...

Hah, this is funny. Dad: Coconut milk doesn't dry up after it's picked but I also don't think you can hear the milk inside by shaking it. It looks to me like a kind of gourd you'd decorate with in the fall. If that's the weight you're trying to describe then yes, a coconut is a bit heavier than a dried up gourd.

Anonymous said...

Watch Survivor tonight folks and for sure you'll understand.