Friday, April 4, 2008

Just Another Local Fish Boil

Something I always wanted to do was a fish boil so today when the wife called me at work to say she had two tickets to the local fish boil tonight I told her to take them. The local Plymouth American Legion does a fish boil every year to raise money for the local community and the wife's boss is a member of the American Legion and offered her the tickets.

The first time I had heard of a fish boil was back when mom and dad use to go to Frankfurt fishing. Every Saturday night in the downtown area they would hold a fish boil. I was never there at the right time to go to the fish boil but it was something I always wanted to do. Tonight was the first chance I have ever had to go to a fish boil. I have always thought about doing one myself but just never got around to it.

If you have never heard of a fish boil it is pretty much as it sounds. I am not sure of the exact procedure but it goes something like this: Boil water, add salt, add potatoes, add carrots, add onions, add fish boil seasoning, add fish (I think they usually use cod, at least that is what we had tonight.) The various items are added at various times according to the time it takes to cook. When it is all done they serve it to you with melted butter. I believe that may be the key, the melted butter. I have also been told if it is cooked right it will taste a little like lobster, I think this is where the butter may help too.

The meal was not a disappointment. The potatoes were good, the carrots were real good, and the fish was good too. And it did taste somewhat like lobster. I would definitely go back for another fish boil I just don't think this is something you would want every week because of the amount of butter they pour on top of everything. It sure did taste good though.

5 comments:

jporterGOP said...

that sounds a whole heck of a lot like fish chowder, except without milk...

okay, so milk is pretty much the key ingredient in chowder, but oh well.

i basically just proved myself wrong.

JP said...

Sounds good... you should learn how and do it when I visit sometime? I'm glad you posted this, Michael was protesting your blog until you posted about something other than sports.

P.S.
I watched another softball game today, Iowa at Michigan, and U of M lost. Disappointing. Sloppy offense, really.

Unknown said...

It is not even close to chowder, chowder is a soup and a fish boil ends up on your plate like any other meal, no broth.

I watched the U of M game against Iowa too. I was hoping to see Delaney pitch but she never did. Did you notice the Findley girl playing second base? I think that is where she was playing anyway, I know she wasn't at first. She looks like she may have slimmed down a little since her freshman year when they won the national title.

carriegel said...

I've been to a crawfish boil, does that count? At a crawfish boil, all the tables are covered in newspaper and everything is dumped in the middle. As for the crawfish, it is a lot of work for something that isn't that good.

Unknown said...

I think a crawfish boil is prepared the same way as the fish boil.

I have always wanted to go to a lobster boil. I believe they use lobster of course, potatoes, corn on the cob, onions, garlic, and seasonings. I have seen it where they add crawfish and fish to it too.