Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Sunday Dinner Recipes

Photobucket
I wish my scanner was working because it would make this a lot easier than typing in these recipes, but I guess I will type them in and give credit where credit is due.

Grilled Salmon with Key Lime Butter

This recipe is from Paula Deen's sons, the free loading ones. But I will give credit where credit is due and they actually do come up with some good recipes. I am not sure whether or not they are stealing them out of their mothers recipe book when she isn't looking.

5 tbsp of unsalted butter
2 tbsp of key lime juice
Salt and freshly ground pepper
4 (6 ounce) salmon fillets
Cooked pasta or rice

Prepare grill by lightly oiling grill grate over medium high heat.

In a small saucepan, melt butter add lime juice. Salt and pepper the salmon fillets modestly on both sides. Place fillets onto grill, brush half of the lime butter over salmon. Grill salmon for 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium rare. Drizzle remaining lime butter over salmon before serving. Serve with pasta or rice.

I think one of the mistakes I made when cooking the salmon was not cutting the salmon up into smaller pieces as they suggest. Next time I will cut up the salmon into serving size pieces. I also left the skin on so it would help keep the fish together on the grill. Next time I am taking the skin off and cooking the salmon. The picture will come out better if you cut the salmon into serving sizes before cooking too. Once the salmon is cooked it wants to flake apart to easily and makes for jagged edges on the salmon. If you look at my photo above you will see what I am talking about. I should also note I cooked my salmon about 3 minutes per side. If you watch the salmon cook you can actually see it change color so it is pretty easy to tell when it is done. As Emeril would say it has a built in thermometer.

Asparagus with Sesame Citrus Sauce

This recipe is from the queen of cooking in the south Paula Deen. Most of the food she cooks on her show looks good but leaves a little to be desired for the healthy side of things.

1 bunch asparagus
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice, plus a splash
3 tbsp butter
1 tbsp sesame seeds, plus extra for garnish
2 tbsp fresh orange juice
1 tsp sesame oil

Prepare the asparagus. Snap off bases of spears and discard. Bring a small amount of salted water to boil in a saucepan, add a splash of lemon; add asparagus and cook until tender. Remove asparagus and shock in an ice bath to stop the cooking and to keep its bright green color.

Melt the 3 tbsp of butter in saucepan. Add 1 tbsp sesame seeds and cook, stirring 2 to 3 minutes over moderate heat, until lightly browned. Add 1 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tbsp orange juice, drizzle with 1 tsp of sesame oil. Whisk to make sure its fully emulsified. Add salt, to taste. Add asparagus to sauce, and toss until coated. Serve hot and garnish with extra sesame seeds, if desired.

I cooked my asparagus on the grill until just tender. I also substituted the lemon with lime juice because our dinner was a lime dinner theme that night. I think the next time I make this I will lightly toast the sesame seeds. This should give them a little more flavor. I will also warn you if you haven't ever used sesame seed oil in anything be careful, a little goes a long way. Sesame oil is also good in Chinese cooking, that is where I normally use it. The asparagus will really soak in the lime flavor too. The orange juice flavor didn't really come through either because the lime juice and sesame oil over powered it. I have also had a thought of using extra virgin olive oil in place of the butter to see if I could cut down on the butter intake. If somebody tries this let me know how it turns out.

Jasmine Rice

This recipe is from the back of the container.

1 part rice
2 parts water or broth

Bring water or broth to a boil and add rice. Cover and turn stove down to low, real low. Let steam for 25 minutes. Uncover and fluff with a fork and let set for another 5 minutes, be patient. DO NOT uncover until after the 25 minutes.

Milk

This recipe is from years of experimentation.

1 Steve Yzerman glass from Arby's
Milk

Fill Steve Yzerman glass with milk.

There you have it, Sunday dinner. If anybody decides to cook these items let me know how it turns out. Also let me know if you have any suggestions for changing the recipes. Remember recipes are only guidelines.

Bonus Recipe

The Deen Brothers' BBQ Sauce

Can you believe I have a second recipe from the Deen brothers? Neither can I but this is probably the best quick fix bbq sauce I have come across. And there is a good chance you have the ingredients in your cupboard.

1 cup ketchup (I use Hunts, it is simply the best for bbq sauces)
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 tbsp orange juice
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp liquid smoke
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

In a bowl stir together all ingredients.

That's it. Nothing else to it. I do skip the liquid smoke if I am grilling outside. I also substitute the cayenne pepper for chipolte red pepper. The chipolte red pepper has a smoky flavor to it and I think it is a little hotter than the cayenne pepper too. Which ever you use be careful you can quickly ruin the bbq sauce unless you like heat.

6 comments:

jporterGOP said...

you could have copied and pasted. it would have saved a lot of time. not to mention you could have just copy and pasted the link to the site.

Unknown said...

Nobody wants to follow a link. And as far as cutting and pasting if you could see how my connection has been working lately it is easier just to type it in.

carriegel said...

i was going to suggest copying and pasting too! peej beat me to it.

i am doing the asparagus friday night. we are having some pork chops on the grill and leftover rice from last night.

i plan on baking the asparagus in the oven. i may cut the butter in half and see how it goes.

megawatt miler said...

i was thinking the same thing about the butter-but those look really good and i cant wait to try them!

jporterGOP said...

steve yzerman isn't the only one on that glass. i believe brendan shannahan is on it too...one has brett hull and dominik hasiek on it too.

Unknown said...

Yzerman and Shannahan are the only two left. The other ones were Federov and Hasek I think. If the 4th one was Hasek I probably got rid of it when he screwed over the Red Wings 3-4 years ago.