Saturday, April 5, 2008

More Ribs


I waited until this week to post these pictures so the sisters could see what their ribs should look like after they cook them. I know they are probably just getting back from their Florida vacation (I don't know why anybody would want to go to sunny and 80 degree weather this time of year but I suppose somebody has to do it) but I thought they might want to see what real food looks like.

The picture to the right is the smoker I use to cook ribs, bbq pork or anything else that needs to be slow cooked. It works alright but it does have issues. It doesn't cook evenly across the smoking chamber so it does take some messing around to get everything to cook evenly, especially if there is a lot of food to be cooked. To the left is where the charcoal and wood goes for cooking. This side can also be used for grilling but it also has limitations. For the most part it works fairly good especially when you take into account how much I paid for it.

I used the bbq sauce I have been working on for the last few weeks on these ribs and I finally think I may be getting close to what I am looking for. I think with a couple of more tweaks here and there I may have it. I also use mesquite hardwood for the smoke flavor this time. I am not sure I will stay with this wood because I still want to try a couple of other types. I should also note I did not use any rub with these ribs, only salt and pepper before cooking.

The ribs were cooked almost perfectly. They were not quite falling apart offering just a slight resistance when bitten into.

For tonight I went over to Mesfield's this morning and bought two ribeye steaks to cook. I cooked them on the Weber tonight and I meant to take some pictures because someone said they wanted to see some beef pictures last week. But I forgot again.

Tomorrow I am cooking bbq chicken on the grill again. I won't be taking any pictures this time since I posted some last week but I will cook enough chicken to save the bbq breast meat for a bbq pizza later this week. I think I am going to try and cook it on the new Weber grill. This might prove to be very interesting before I am done so I think I better have a back up plan for that night. I will try to take some pictures regardless of the outcome. If you have never made a bbq pizza, whether it is chicken or pork you should give it a try. They are easy to make and delicious. It is also a very inexpensive meal as long as it was left over chicken or pork you are using. I will give out the recipe after I cook it if it turns out. If it doesn't turn out better head to Mickey D's.

2 comments:

jporterGOP said...

your classic rock song is much much better this week

carriegel said...

I plan on trying these this weekend.